The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 29, 2011, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Proper Mechanic

This past weekend, I had my last MAYB tournament games of the summer.

I had the following situation, any feedback on any of the play would be appreciated.

I was the old lead, new trail on a rebounded shot. Team A, player 5 had the ball and was being defended by players 4 and 3 on team B. The location is free throw line extended on my side of the court. I have a great angle between two of the bodies player 5A and player 4B, not so much of player 3B.

Player 5A throws an elbow to get the pressure off of her. She does not connect with either player and I blow my whistle for an elbow throwing violation. My partner runs from the other side of the half court and starts yelling, that's an elbow throwing violation and then signals a traveling violation.

I just laughed it off because I had the same call, but it got me thinking. I have never seen a mechanic for an elbow throwing violation and I my initial thoughts were it can't be the same as a traveling violation. It has to be a verbal and then a possession and that's it but does anyone know for sure?
Old Fri Jul 29, 2011, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post

I had the following situation, any feedback on any of the play would be appreciated.

I was the old lead, new trail on a rebounded shot. Team A, player 5 had the ball and was being defended by players 4 and 3 on team B. The location is free throw line extended on my side of the court. I have a great angle between two of the bodies player 5A and player 4B, not so much of player 3B.

Player 5A throws an elbow to get the pressure off of her. She does not connect with either player and I blow my whistle for an elbow throwing violation. My partner runs from the other side of the half court and starts yelling, that's an elbow throwing violation and then signals a traveling violation.

I just laughed it off because I had the same call, but it got me thinking. I have never seen a mechanic for an elbow throwing violation and I my initial thoughts were it can't be the same as a traveling violation. It has to be a verbal and then a possession and that's it but does anyone know for sure?
Signal 27

Closed hand, raised arm, simulating elbowing.
Old Fri Jul 29, 2011, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have never seen a mechanic for an elbow throwing violation and I my initial thoughts were it can't be the same as a traveling violation. It has to be a verbal and then a possession and that's it but does anyone know for sure?
Try signal #27...
Old Fri Jul 29, 2011, 05:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

A Real Swinger ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
Signal 27: Closed hand, raised arm, simulating elbowing.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jul 30, 2011 at 09:51am.
Old Wed Aug 03, 2011, 03:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I think you might want to reconsider your terminology. If someone blatantly "throws" an elbow I'm going to suggest that you should probably have more than a violation. If someone is merely guilty of excessively swinging their elbows, then signal 27 applies.