The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 26, 2003, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Question

What is the proper mechanic for signalling team control (NC2A) and off-ball offensive fouls (NF)? For instance calls such as illegal screens, off-ball holding, pushing etc.

Also, has anyone had this happen:

Your classic block/charge sitch on a fast break, I'm in good position, blow a strong whistle, arm straight and high, fist closed, player control signal with a verbal and point in the other direction, noone understood the call. I expected a boo, or hooray got nothing from the players, coaches or fans. I was shocked. This was a Rec league youth game of 14 -16 year old males in a close game. Anyone experience that?
Old Sun Jan 26, 2003, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by Woodee
What is the proper mechanic for signalling team control (NC2A) and off-ball offensive fouls (NF)? For instance calls such as illegal screens, off-ball holding, pushing etc.
In women's NCAA, the proper mechanic for a team control foul is whistle plus fist in the air (as for any foul) followed by a "punch" with a closed fist in the direction the ball will be going.

See http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/baske...0703_memo.html
Old Sun Jan 26, 2003, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS signals for off ball fouls are as follows:

Illegal Screen - Block signal
Holding - same holding signal

There is no team control signal like there is in NCAA. I don't know how well I like the NCAA signal with the punch. If you have an illegal screen, I like the old way of fist, ship the foul and then give a block or whatever actually happened to make the screen illegal. The punch, seems rather confusing, especially if it is off ball.
Old Sun Jan 26, 2003, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

PLEASE make sure you don't give the PC signal (hand behind the head) for an off-ball "offensive" foul when playing under NFHS rules! The PC signal should only be used for player control situations (i.e., a foul by the player with the ball or by an airborne shooter without the ball), as other fouls by the offensive team can result in free throws if the other team is in the bonus. Simply report it as what type of foul it was (charge, block, hold).

Team control for NCAA depends on whether it is a men's or women's game. Men [should] use the NF "player control" signal, and women [should] use the "punch" mechanic for any foul by a member of the team in control of the ball, as there will not be any free throws for a common foul in this situation.
Old Mon Jan 27, 2003, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Quote:
Originally posted by Woodee
NCAA Men: Team control signal

1. Fist in the air.

2. Block, hold, push, or whatever the foul was.

3. Hand behind head.

Both at the spot and at the table (number 2 and 3).

My two sense!