The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

Team Bench Area?

I have found a definition for the Team Time out area that includes the bench area. Does anyone know where to find the definition of the "Team Bench Area"?
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 03:02am
We don't rent pigs

1-13-3: The time-out area shall be the area inside an imaginary rectangle formed by the boundaries of the sideline (including the bench), end line, and an imaginary line extended from the free-throw lane line nearest the bench area meeting an imaginary line extended from the coaching-box line.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 03:53am
Official Forum Member

Rule 1, SECTION 13 TEAM BENCH LOCATIONS, COACHING BOX, TIME-OUT AREA
ART. 1 . . .
The location of each team's bench shall be designated by game
management. It is recommended that the benches for team members and
coaches of both teams be placed along that side of the court on which the

scorer's and timer's table is located.

That is about the best that you are going to get. The bench area is obviously out of bounds, but after that it depends upon where game management for a particular school wishes to have the teams. Some places have chairs, some put the teams in the first row of the bleachers, some are further back from the court than others, etc.

Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 04:06am
Do not give a damn!!

There was once a diagram that was used by the NF that suggested that area was from the benches to the lane line. This was in a PowerPoint slide and if I can find it I will post the pic. Or if someone has the pic they can post it.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Rule 1, SECTION 13 TEAM BENCH LOCATIONS, COACHING BOX, TIME-OUT AREA
ART. 1 . . .
The location of each team's bench shall be designated by game
management. It is recommended that the benches for team members and
coaches of both teams be placed along that side of the court on which the

scorer's and timer's table is located.

That is about the best that you are going to get. The bench area is obviously out of bounds, but after that it depends upon where game management for a particular school wishes to have the teams. Some places have chairs, some put the teams in the first row of the bleachers, some are further back from the court than others, etc.

Nevada, What you have posted is also the only reference I had already found. We are arguing a NFHS question. We are trying to see if the question is poorly written and is using "team bench area" to mean "time out area" OR does the question want us to know that "bench area" and "time out area" are NOT the same thing.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref2coach View Post
Nevada, What you have posted is also the only reference I had already found. We are arguing a NFHS question. We are trying to see if the question is poorly written and is using "team bench area" to mean "time out area" OR does the question want us to know that "bench area" and "time out area" are NOT the same thing.
They are clearly not the same.
Type the text of the question and I'll give my thoughts.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

I've never really seen a gym with a weird bench area. I've seen one's so close to the court that the players can't put their feet on the floor out of bounds, seen teams in the first and second row of the stands. Never seen anything like say Vanderbilt with the bench areas on the side.

Anyone got a weird story?
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 08:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Watch Me Pick Up The Spare ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
Anyone got a weird story?
Very old Catholic middle school. Benches are on opposite endlines. Absolutely no room out of bounds along the sidelines, literally an inch, or two, between the sidelines and the walls. Three point lines intersect the sidelines above the free throw line extended.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Dec 05, 2011 at 08:32pm.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 08:59pm
TODO: creative title here

There's one middle school around here that splits their gym in two for games (girls on one side, boys on the other). A fold-out divider separates the two, with no out-of-bounds room on that long side of the court. The other side of the court is the stacked-up bleachers, with about a foot of out-of-bounds area. In essence, we almost have arena-football-style boundary walls.

The team benches are on opposite baselines, and the scorer's table is at the "home team's" baseline with one of those little portable scoreboards that's about the size of a suitcase.

Makes for some interesting challenges and 'ground rules'. Luckily, it's only 7th and 8th grade ball.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
They are clearly not the same.
Type the text of the question and I'll give my thoughts.
"The team bench area is an imaginary rectangle formed by the sideline (including the bench), end line, nearer free-throw lane line extended and the coaching-box line." True or False

I answered false because this is the definition for the time-out area. Others are saying standard poor NFHS question writing and true will therefore be the correct answer.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

My partner and I showed up to a HS C game being played in an auxiliary gym. The team benches were set up across the court from the table. We asked the coach how he planned on his team checking in with the table, followed by a blank look and a quick yell to his players to move the benches across the court.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref2coach View Post
"The team bench area is an imaginary rectangle formed by the sideline (including the bench), end line, nearer free-throw lane line extended and the coaching-box line." True or False

I answered false because this is the definition for the time-out area. Others are saying standard poor NFHS question writing and true will therefore be the correct answer.
You are correct. This is a question from an old NFHS exam. About three seasons ago the NFHS changed the wording of this question to say "The time-out area is an..." That was done the same year that the definition of the time-out area was added to the Rules Book.

If someone else doesn't post the exact years of what I wrote above, I return when I have more time and do so for you.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 04:41pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Very old Catholic middle school. Benches are on opposite endlines. Absolutely no room out of bounds along the sidelines, literally an inch, or two, between the sidelines and the walls. Three point lines intersect the sidelines above the free throw line extended.
Why even play there?
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Why even play there?
Because it is better than the parking lot?

Some organizations just play in whatever facility they can get, is convenient, or is cheap. Not all will be as nice as MSG.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Because it is better than the parking lot?

Some organizations just play in whatever facility they can get, is convenient, or is cheap. Not all will be as nice as MSG.
I thought you'd say not all will be as nice as Matthew Knight Arena?