The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 27, 2011, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Airbourne player charges into backward moving defender

Lets say: B1, in a LGP, slowly moves backward in anticipation of A1's move. A1 jumps forward and toward B1. B1 continues to slowly move backward until airborne player A1 charges into B1.

According to the rules, this should be a foul on B1 because B1 obtained his legal position (the position at the time of contact) after A1 has left the floor, 4-23-4.b. A defender who moves backward after the opponent has jumped towards him is obtaining a new position after that opponent has left the floor. Isn't that a violation of rule 4-23-4.b?

Last edited by MiamiWadeCounty; Mon Nov 28, 2011 at 12:05am.
Old Mon Nov 28, 2011, 12:01am
Keeper of the HAMMER

No, see what B1 is allowed to do after gaining LGP.
Old Mon Nov 28, 2011, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

B1 hasn't lost LGP by moving backwards...if a call is to be made, then it would be a PC/charge call.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Nov 28, 2011, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
No, see what B1 is allowed to do after gaining LGP.
I understand what you are allowed to do after gaining LGP. Heck, I understand that B1 has done nothing illegal. But it's just how the way the rule is written. "If the opponent with the ball is airborne, the guard must have obtained legal position before the opponent left the floor". To me that sounds like once the opponent has left the floor, you can not move to a new position.
Old Mon Nov 28, 2011, 12:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiWadeCounty View Post
I understand what you are allowed to do after gaining LGP. Heck, I understand that B1 has done nothing illegal. But it's just how the way the rule is written. "If the opponent with the ball is airborne, the guard must have obtained legal position before the opponent left the floor". To me that sounds like once the opponent has left the floor, you can not move to a new position.
You're reading it wrong. All that means is a player can't legally place himself in the path of an airborne player if he wasn't already there before a player is airborne. Per your OP, the defender already placed himself legally in the path of the airborne player and by virtue of having LGP (per your OP), he's legally able to move backwards to maintain it.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Nov 28, 2011, 12:54am
Keeper of the HAMMER

He obtained it before, and maintained it after. It also says the defender may move to absorb imminent contact.
Old Mon Nov 28, 2011, 01:56am
We don't rent pigs

I believe he is hung up on the word position, thinking it means a single position on the floor, as opposed to a position relative to the opponent.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Nov 28, 2011, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I believe he is hung up on the word position, thinking it means a single position on the floor, as opposed to a position relative to the opponent.
He also might be thinking that the shooter's right to land includes a right to the entire path to that spot, whether or not a defender was in that path first.
Old Mon Nov 28, 2011, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiWadeCounty View Post
If A1 would have jumped completely OVER B1, and then B1 moved to a new spot to cause the contact, you might be right.

In the real world, see the other answers.
Old Mon Nov 28, 2011, 11:04am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
If A1 would have jumped completely OVER B1, and then B1 moved to a new spot to cause the contact, you might be right.

In the real world, see the other answers.
David Thompson with the Nuggets???