The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 06, 2002, 11:32pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Question Defender set a moving screen?

This has happened to me twice and both time coaches complained. The defender noticing that an offensive player is coming backdoor steps into the path of the player to set, what I would consider a screen, and moves right into the player, no time or distance so I blow my whistle and call a moving screen. I know it is a foul and I probably should call a block, but is it possible for a defensive player to set a moving screen?

I hope I am clear....
Old Wed Feb 06, 2002, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by w_sohl
This has happened to me twice and both time coaches complained. The defender noticing that an offensive player is coming backdoor steps into the path of the player to set, what I would consider a screen, and moves right into the player, no time or distance. I know it is a foul and I probably should call a block, but is it possible for a defensive player to set a moving screen?

I hope I am clear....
Blocking foul if the defender prevents the cutter from
moving without giving proper distance. Hold if he holds
the cutter (duh). Push if he pushes him off his path.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2002, 11:41pm
In Memoriam

Re: Defender set a moving screen?

Quote:
Originally posted by w_sohl
This has happened to me twice and both time coaches complained. The defender noticing that an offensive player is coming backdoor steps into the path of the player to set, what I would consider a screen, and moves right into the player, no time or distance so I blow my whistle and call a moving screen. I know it is a foul and I probably should call a block, but is it possible for a defensive player to set a moving screen?

I hope I am clear....
w_sohl,

Sure, why not?
Rule 4-39 (Screen) does not differentiate between offensive and defensive players.

I usually call such acts as blocks or pushes.

mick
Old Wed Feb 06, 2002, 11:48pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Re: Defender set a moving screen?

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

w_sohl,

Sure, why not?
Rule 4-39 (Screen) does not differentiate between offensive and defensive players.

I usually call such acts as blocks or pushes.

mick
That is what I thought, I just get caught up in the game and tell them that it was a moving screen. I figured that I would be better off calling it a block. I just explained to the coaches when they complained that a defensive player is very capable of setting a screen and they were moving in doing such, therefore they set a moving screen as a defender.

Thanks for the input from everyone so far...
Old Thu Feb 07, 2002, 04:07am
Official Forum Member

w-SOHL,
you could also report "body check" or "chucking a cutter" though this is not proper by the book etiquette it helps avoid confusion. the mechanic i use is-putting both my fists together near my chest and then pushing them out about a foot in front of me.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2002, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Moving Screen?

When an offensive player screens for another player I would call this a "defensive" move. And isn't boxing out really just another type of screen? Seems to make sense the rules for screens don't differentiate between O and D.
Also, isn't there a requirement for a 5 sec. closely guarded count, before the moving screen is called?
(Sorry don't have rule book with, for a reference)
EG
Old Thu Feb 07, 2002, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Re: Moving Screen?

Quote:
Originally posted by egausch
Also, isn't there a requirement for a 5 sec. closely guarded count, before the moving screen is called?
(Sorry don't have rule book with, for a reference)
EG
This is a new myth to me! Please tell us where you heard that one.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2002, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
One of the first arguements I had with a coach, very early in my career, was whether an offensive player could set a screen. I was brand new to any details of basketball, and felt no confidense at all, but was baffled as to why it would be impossible for an offense to use a screen. Finally, I said, "Okay, coach, I see. It wasn't a moving screen, it was an illegal block" Why the wording made any difference to him escaped me. That was before I had seen the medical evidence about the brains of most coaches and their various hormonal overloads. (The few coaches on this board, seem to have dealt with these problems in a really admirable manner).
Old Thu Feb 07, 2002, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

NF References for moving screens

I was discussing the moving screen with another coach a couple WEs ago and flipped through the rules and case book. I found two references I thought were appropriate. First in the rules:
Definitions 4.39.2c "To establish a legal screening position the screener must be stationary, except when both are moving in the same direction". This suggests to me that the screener cannot plot an intercept course. In effect he has to give ground if the defender moves toward the player with the ball. Some may consider the "intercept" action to be unsportsmanlike. The other definitions in this section for moving screens refer to contact. I won't type the whole thing. The other reference was in the case book: Rule 9.10.1 Situation D:"...Preventing opponents from getting to the ball by using screening teammates becomes a violation in five seconds if the opponents are attempting to gain control". This situation does not exactly mention a moving screen but I think it's relevent or a least worth some discusion.
Perhaps I've myth-interpreted the books, so enlighten me!
EG
Old Thu Feb 07, 2002, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Re: NF References for moving screens

Quote:
Originally posted by egausch
The other reference was in the case book: Rule 9.10.1 Situation D:"...Preventing opponents from getting to the ball by using screening teammates becomes a violation in five seconds if the opponents are attempting to gain control". This situation does not exactly mention a moving screen but I think it's relevent or a least worth some discusion.
Perhaps I've myth-interpreted the books, so enlighten me!
EG
Re-read this carefully - using screening teammates here is a violation (and yous folks thought that trick question meant nothing!!). Specifically, it's one of the two "wierd" versions of the 5-second closely-guarded rule which gets us boos when we call it.