The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Airbourne player charges into backward moving defender (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/83490-airbourne-player-charges-into-backward-moving-defender.html)

MiamiWadeCounty Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:57pm

Airbourne player charges into backward moving defender

Lets say: B1, in a LGP, slowly moves backward in anticipation of A1's move. A1 jumps forward and toward B1. B1 continues to slowly move backward until airborne player A1 charges into B1.

According to the rules, this should be a foul on B1 because B1 obtained his legal position (the position at the time of contact) after A1 has left the floor, 4-23-4.b. A defender who moves backward after the opponent has jumped towards him is obtaining a new position after that opponent has left the floor. Isn't that a violation of rule 4-23-4.b?

Adam Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:01am

No, see what B1 is allowed to do after gaining LGP.

APG Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:09am

B1 hasn't lost LGP by moving backwards...if a call is to be made, then it would be a PC/charge call.

MiamiWadeCounty Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 800329)
No, see what B1 is allowed to do after gaining LGP.

I understand what you are allowed to do after gaining LGP. Heck, I understand that B1 has done nothing illegal. But it's just how the way the rule is written. "If the opponent with the ball is airborne, the guard must have obtained legal position before the opponent left the floor". To me that sounds like once the opponent has left the floor, you can not move to a new position.

APG Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiamiWadeCounty (Post 800339)
I understand what you are allowed to do after gaining LGP. Heck, I understand that B1 has done nothing illegal. But it's just how the way the rule is written. "If the opponent with the ball is airborne, the guard must have obtained legal position before the opponent left the floor". To me that sounds like once the opponent has left the floor, you can not move to a new position.

You're reading it wrong. All that means is a player can't legally place himself in the path of an airborne player if he wasn't already there before a player is airborne. Per your OP, the defender already placed himself legally in the path of the airborne player and by virtue of having LGP (per your OP), he's legally able to move backwards to maintain it.

Adam Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:54am

He obtained it before, and maintained it after. It also says the defender may move to absorb imminent contact.

just another ref Mon Nov 28, 2011 01:56am

I believe he is hung up on the word position, thinking it means a single position on the floor, as opposed to a position relative to the opponent.

mbyron Mon Nov 28, 2011 07:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 800343)
I believe he is hung up on the word position, thinking it means a single position on the floor, as opposed to a position relative to the opponent.

He also might be thinking that the shooter's right to land includes a right to the entire path to that spot, whether or not a defender was in that path first.

bob jenkins Mon Nov 28, 2011 09:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiamiWadeCounty (Post 800339)

If A1 would have jumped completely OVER B1, and then B1 moved to a new spot to cause the contact, you might be right.

In the real world, see the other answers.

rockyroad Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 800355)
If A1 would have jumped completely OVER B1, and then B1 moved to a new spot to cause the contact, you might be right.

In the real world, see the other answers.

David Thompson with the Nuggets???