The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 25, 2005, 03:58pm
MPLAHE

A1 shoots and the ball goes in the basket. Shooter has returned to the floor and is then fouled. Is this situation ignored unless flagrant or intentional per 4-19-1? This section also states that "a personal foul also includes contact by or on an airborne shooter when the ball is dead."

I had a coach ask me for an interpretation of a situation he had in which the shooter shot the ball and a foul was called clearly after the ball had gone through the hoop and the shooter returned to the floor. I told him it would have ignored it unless intentional or flagrant since the play was dead after the basket was scored. Was I wrong in my interpretation?
Old Fri Feb 25, 2005, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

In a situation like this the player is no longer the airborne shooter after he has returned to the floor. Now if the foul occured before the field goal was scored, then call it, count the basket and give the ball back to team A for a designated spot throwin closest to the spot of the foul. If the foul occured after the basket was scored, ignore it unless it was intentional or flagerant.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2005, 04:15pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by MPLAHE
A1 shoots and the ball goes in the basket. Shooter has returned to the floor and is then fouled. Is this situation ignored unless flagrant or intentional per 4-19-1? This section also states that "a personal foul also includes contact by or on an airborne shooter when the ball is dead."

I had a coach ask me for an interpretation of a situation he had in which the shooter shot the ball and a foul was called clearly after the ball had gone through the hoop and the shooter returned to the floor. I told him it would have ignored it unless intentional or flagrant since the play was dead after the basket was scored. Was I wrong in my interpretation?
MPLAHE,
You were right if the contact was incidental.
You were wrong without providing additional conditions.
Depends on the quality/quantity of contact.
mick
Old Fri Feb 25, 2005, 04:25pm
MPLAHE

I did question the coach on whether it was a hard or intentional foul and he stated it wasn't - thats when I told him my opinion was it should have been ignored.

thanks for the input