The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 21, 2011, 10:26am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Mark, I agree with you, but the fact is Billy isn't your target here. His little corner of Rome actually requires it. Would you have him ignore the instruction of his assigners?
No.

Of course, I worked a tournament a while back where the UIC tried forcing people to carry ball/strike indicators on the bases. I tried, like a good soldier, but kept forgetting to turn the wheels and stuck it in my pocket. If someone required it of me, I'd carry the spare whistle, but I'm not sure I'd remember to move it.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2011, 12:41pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by shavano View Post
Flip 58 AP switch
Seems to me to be a solution to a problem that barely exists.
Old Tue Nov 22, 2011, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Tip... For those using a whistle to switch back and forth in your pocket to track the held ball Try swithching to a small comb. It works much better. The comb does not get stuck in the pocket or pull the pocket out when switching sides. A partner turned me onto this when I was using the whistle method.
Old Tue Nov 22, 2011, 11:08am
This IS My Social Life

Follicle Deficiency

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopguy View Post
Tip... For those using a whistle to switch back and forth in your pocket to track the held ball Try swithching to a small comb. It works much better. The comb does not get stuck in the pocket or pull the pocket out when switching sides. A partner turned me onto this when I was using the whistle method.
There is about an 85% probability that about 85% of those participating on this forum haven't had need to use a comb in about 85 years.
And I'm one of them.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shavano View Post
Trying out the Flip 58 for the first few games this season.. For those not familiar with this, it is a small piece of plastic with a 2 sided movable switch ( black for visitors, white for home) that fits on the underside of your whistle. It does take a little bit of the performance out of the Fox 40, but a little more air seems to do the trick.

I've tried the "whistle in the pocket" method, just does not seem to work for me to keep track of AP. Hoping that as I get more years behind me, knowing the AP status will just become natural. One of my goals for the season, ( small as it may seem), is to not have to look one time at table for an arrow check.

Wish me luck...
Here's a tip. Throw it out.

If you develop bad habits now they will become engrained in your repertoire as an official.

Arrow,team foul, and shot clock awareness are not difficult at all if you focus.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
Here's a tip. Throw it out.

If you develop bad habits now they will become engrained in your repertoire as an official.

Arrow,team foul, and shot clock awareness are not difficult at all if you focus.
I'd rather have a new official focus on all the other stuff that clogs up a newbie brain. Once that starts to become second nature, then the focus on the arrow, shot clock (if used) etc. can be added.