The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Legal inbounds play?

NCAA rules. I've seen this inbounds play a lot and was wondering if it is always legal. Offense is throwing it in, underneath it's own basket. Defense is in man-to-man. One big on the block sets a pick for the other big on the other block. Do the rules concerning a blind, back pick apply in this situation? Does it depend on how the bigs are being defended?

I've seen the pick set blindly on the defender with little or no space given to avoid it. But, I've never seen an illegal screen called.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

The same rules apply.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 11:51am
Do not give a damn!!

The rules expect there to be contact. You probably do not see fouls because the officials do not deem it to be. I have seen these plays too, but they are not blind screens (which really means from behind out of the vision, not on the side where a player can turn their head to see the screen). Contact is expected on screens and even violent contact.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

I agree with JRutledge. Screens are there so that there will be contact. I think its just a good play.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The rules expect there to be contact. You probably do not see fouls because the officials do not deem it to be. I have seen these plays too, but they are not blind screens (which really means from behind out of the vision, not on the side where a player can turn their head to see the screen). Contact is expected on screens and even violent contact.

Peace
So, for example, the person setting the pick is on the ball side block. The defender is defending his man on the opposite block.

If the defender defends by standing between his man and the ball, then this pick is set clearly from the side, and he can see it coming.

However, if the defender purposely faces his man with his back to the other player setting the pick, does this simple change in defense force the offensive player to give him more space on the pick?
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 12:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Coach,

If you have an S&I Rulebook, look at page 68 that shows a description of a screen set from outside the field of vision and it shows a player setting a screen from behind. It references Rule 4-40-4 and talks about allowing a step.

The play you described and I see often is not a blind or screen set outside the vision according to interpretation. And if it was a blind screen those screens often give way more than a step or to which all a blind screen's restriction is to give the player a step. If they take several steps and run into a player, then the screener was legal. Now if they contact was severe enough and official can judge a foul took place, but screens expect some contact and a lot of contact.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill View Post
So, for example, the person setting the pick is on the ball side block. The defender is defending his man on the opposite block.

If the defender defends by standing between his man and the ball, then this pick is set clearly from the side, and he can see it coming.

However, if the defender purposely faces his man with his back to the other player setting the pick, does this simple change in defense force the offensive player to give him more space on the pick?
Not if he turns after the screen was set. And, if he turns too early, he won't see "the and and the ball"