The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 16, 2011, 09:51am
Esteemed Forum Member

Jump For My Love ...

Any esteemed Forum members see a problem with the first, third, fourth, and ninth toss? How about the second and fifth toss? How about two problems with the second toss on the tenth play?

And you guys wonder why I detest jump balls.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Oct 16, 2011 at 10:04am.
Old Sun Oct 16, 2011, 10:12am
Do not give a damn!!

The only thing I noticed it that many of these tosses (not the number you picked either), the official does not properly start the clock. In one case the U1 did not even have his hand up to start the clock. Other than that, not sure what you have a problem with. Most of the tosses are decent from what I can tell.

What do you want to move to Iowa and do a coin flip?

Peace
Old Sun Oct 16, 2011, 10:25am
Esteemed Forum Member

Man, I Hate Jump Balls ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The only thing I noticed it that many of these tosses (not the number you picked either), the official does not properly start the clock. In one case the U1 did not even have his hand up to start the clock.
First, third, fourth, ninth, and tenth (second) toss: Chopping in on the "catch" rather than on the tap.

Second and fifth: No signal from the umpire.

Tenth (second toss): Tell me that red doesn't tap it on the way up?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Oct 16, 2011 at 11:28am.
Old Sun Oct 16, 2011, 10:29am
Esteemed Forum Member

Any Hawkeyes On The Forum ???

Quote:
Please tell me more.

Old Tue Oct 25, 2011, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

3rd, 9th the ball was tipped twice in the circle?

Last edited by kwatson; Tue Oct 25, 2011 at 02:14pm.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2011, 02:18pm
Archaic Power Monger

I agree Billy, Kriss Kross was a poor choice...
Old Tue Oct 25, 2011, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwatson View Post
3rd, 9th the ball was tipped twice in the circle?
Nothing wrong with a jumper touching the ball twice.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Oct 25, 2011, 06:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
The only thing I noticed it that many of these tosses (not the number you picked either), the official does not properly start the clock. In one case the U1 did not even have his hand up to start the clock. Other than that, not sure what you have a problem with. Most of the tosses are decent from what I can tell.

Peace
Your informant is out of the loop.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2011, 06:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Violation ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Nothing wrong with a jumper touching the ball twice.
But the third time is a charm.

Old Tue Oct 25, 2011, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Any esteemed Forum members see a problem with the first, third, fourth, and ninth toss? How about the second and fifth toss? How about two problems with the second toss on the tenth play?

The toss of the year was too high of a toss.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2011, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
The toss of the year was too high of a toss.
Says who? The tosser is required to throw the ball at a height greater than either can jump, at a right angle between two of them, to insure the ball lands between them.

Now realistically, we don't toss the ball that high because the higher you toss it, the harder it is to insure it's a good toss. But there was nothing wrong with that toss.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Tue Oct 25, 2011, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Says who? The tosser is required to throw the ball at a height greater than either can jump, at a right angle between two of them, to insure the ball lands between them.

Now realistically, we don't toss the ball that high because the higher you toss it, the harder it is to insure it's a good toss. But there was nothing wrong with that toss.
IOW, the toss was a bit higher than it should of been.

Looking at the time between the ball leaving the official's hand and the jumpers hitting the ball, the ball went up approximately 20-30 feet above the release point. Generally isn't the maximum distance only about 10 feet above the release point?
Old Tue Oct 25, 2011, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
IOW, the toss was a bit higher than it should of been.

Looking at the time between the ball leaving the official's hand and the jumpers hitting the ball, the ball went up approximately 20-30 feet above the release point. Generally isn't the maximum distance only about 10 feet above the release point?
IOW, no...the ball was tossed at a height higher than either could jump, it went at a right angle between the two jumpers, and it was tossed so it would land between the two of them. You can't really toss the ball too high, but no one tosses it that high because the higher you toss it, the harder it is to control the toss.

Old Tue Oct 25, 2011, 10:14pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

LOL ... That was great! Well done!
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 02:02am
Official Forum Member

. . . Slightly . . .

Quote:

NFHS Officials Manual 2.2 Putting the ball in play
2.2 B 4. "Toss the ball slightly higher than either person can jump. NOTE: If the toss is poor, either official should immediately sound the whistle; signal the clock should not start and order a rejump."

(It would seem that a poor toss would include tossing it excessively high.)
Admittedly, my first toss last year, in a regular season game, went about 18 feet high, and my partner started laughing, which precluded his being able to whistle to stop the play, and we managed to continue, even though both jumpers were up and down and then up again before the ball came down to the floor.