The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Can I get some love here ?

Decent Boys Varsity game. Partner calls a decent game. I'm still the new varsity official, so I generally get the higher rated and more experienced partners. We had a minor difference of opinion on an intentional foul.

I'm trail. Ball is in partners primary. I got Player A doing the backdoor thing on the defender, it works. Player A beats defender by a nice step or so. Before the ball gets to him the defender gives him a very solid push in the back. Its almost identical to the kid pushing the other player in the back on the breakaway lay-up ,except it this case he doesn't have the ball yet.

I tweet and call an intentional foul. 2 shots and the ball. Partner made a small attempt to talk me out of the intentional. His main argument is it looks better if the player has the ball. I stayed with the intentional. I'm thinking this sitch is the perfect example for 4-19-3. The whole neutralizing an opponent's obvious advantage.

What do you guys thinking bout this ?

Last edited by Chess Ref; Sat Jan 10, 2009 at 11:19am. Reason: none
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 11:00am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Easy X, as far as I'm concerned. No question about it, and I don't care how it looks.

BTW, I'd remove the reference to your partner's appearance. It's really irrelevant.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

I guess you had to be there, but I'm not sure I'm seeing an IF here. A hard foul maybe, but not I. JMO. Like I said, guess you had to be there.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

The way you describe it, sounds like a good IF.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 12:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev View Post
I guess you had to be there, but I'm not sure I'm seeing an IF here. A hard foul maybe, but not I. JMO. Like I said, guess you had to be there.
A push in the back against a player with an obvious position advantage? Easy intentional; should be called every time.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 01:36pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev View Post

And what is the difference between a hard foul (excessive contact) and IF?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 01:38pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
Decent Boys Varsity game. Partner calls a decent game. I'm still the new varsity official, so I generally get the higher rated and more experienced partners. We had a minor difference of opinion on an intentional foul.

I'm trail. Ball is in partners primary. I got Player A doing the backdoor thing on the defender, it works. Player A beats defender by a nice step or so. Before the ball gets to him the defender gives him a very solid push in the back. Its almost identical to the kid pushing the other player in the back on the breakaway lay-up ,except it this case he doesn't have the ball yet.

I tweet and call an intentional foul. 2 shots and the ball. Partner made a small attempt to talk me out of the intentional. His main argument is it looks better if the player has the ball. I stayed with the intentional. I'm thinking this sitch is the perfect example for 4-19-3. The whole neutralizing an opponent's obvious advantage.

Chess Ref:

You did good.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 01:42pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
And what is the difference between a hard foul (excessive contact) and IF?

MTD, Sr.
Well, there's a difference between a hard foul and excessive contact. Excessive contact depends on the situation -- if two players are moving quickly and collide and there's a foul, it's going to be a lot of contact, but not necessarily excessive considering the circumstances.

Based on the OP, though, it's a push from a guy who knows he's beat into the back of someone to prevent him from catching a pass and laying it in. Sounds like an IF to me. And frankly, I never put much stock in a partner so willing to criticize a partner's call. I have a different angle and more than likely I am not looking at the same place (at least I hope) as a partner.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

it sounds like a solid call.

your partner may have been a more upset that you called an IF in his primary and he had nada, thought it made him look bad?
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 09:19pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post

From your description, I believe you done good.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
it sounds like a solid call.

your partner may have been a more upset that you called an IF in his primary and he had nada, thought it made him look bad?
That didn't seem to be the issue. The players involved came from my primary. The call was made in the grey area.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

A tough call to make but I believe you made the right call.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2009, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBLUE View Post
A tough call to make but I believe you made the right call.
This is not "a tough call to make". It's an easy call to make if we have read and understood the rule book on Intentional Fouls.

Why are so many officials afraid to call Intentional Fouls???
Old Mon Jan 12, 2009, 10:36am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Official View Post
This is not "a tough call to make". It's an easy call to make if we have read and understood the rule book on Intentional Fouls.

Why are so many officials afraid to call Intentional Fouls???
Concur. The way I see it here is:

The less experienced the official and lower the level of play, the more likely you are to see the foul and less likely you are to see the ref make the call. The more experienced the official, the more likely it is to see the call at the lower level.....

At the upper levels, the call is probably made more often by the officials if it occurs - but these players "know how to foul better" and avoid that type of foul. JMO