The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Jump For My Love ... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/82460-jump-my-love.html)

BillyMac Sun Oct 16, 2011 09:51am

Jump For My Love ...

Any esteemed Forum members see a problem with the first, third, fourth, and ninth toss? How about the second and fifth toss? How about two problems with the second toss on the tenth play?

And you guys wonder why I detest jump balls.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5otyzMHSG5k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JRutledge Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:12am

The only thing I noticed it that many of these tosses (not the number you picked either), the official does not properly start the clock. In one case the U1 did not even have his hand up to start the clock. Other than that, not sure what you have a problem with. Most of the tosses are decent from what I can tell.

What do you want to move to Iowa and do a coin flip? ;)

Peace

BillyMac Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:25am

Man, I Hate Jump Balls ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 794303)
The only thing I noticed it that many of these tosses (not the number you picked either), the official does not properly start the clock. In one case the U1 did not even have his hand up to start the clock.

First, third, fourth, ninth, and tenth (second) toss: Chopping in on the "catch" rather than on the tap.

Second and fifth: No signal from the umpire.

Tenth (second toss): Tell me that red doesn't tap it on the way up?

BillyMac Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:29am

Any Hawkeyes On The Forum ???

Quote:

What do you want to move to Iowa and do a coin flip?

Please tell me more.

kwatson Tue Oct 25, 2011 02:10pm

3rd, 9th the ball was tipped twice in the circle?

Welpe Tue Oct 25, 2011 02:18pm

I agree Billy, Kriss Kross was a poor choice...

APG Tue Oct 25, 2011 03:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwatson (Post 795825)
3rd, 9th the ball was tipped twice in the circle?

Nothing wrong with a jumper touching the ball twice.

Adam Tue Oct 25, 2011 06:06pm

Quote:

The only thing I noticed it that many of these tosses (not the number you picked either), the official does not properly start the clock. In one case the U1 did not even have his hand up to start the clock. Other than that, not sure what you have a problem with. Most of the tosses are decent from what I can tell.

What do you want to move to Iowa and do a coin flip? ;)

Peace

Your informant is out of the loop.

BillyMac Tue Oct 25, 2011 06:25pm

Violation ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 795851)
Nothing wrong with a jumper touching the ball twice.

But the third time is a charm.

chseagle Tue Oct 25, 2011 06:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 794298)
Any esteemed Forum members see a problem with the first, third, fourth, and ninth toss? How about the second and fifth toss? How about two problems with the second toss on the tenth play?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5otyzMHSG5k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The toss of the year was too high of a toss.

APG Tue Oct 25, 2011 06:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 795889)
The toss of the year was too high of a toss.

Says who? The tosser is required to throw the ball at a height greater than either can jump, at a right angle between two of them, to insure the ball lands between them.

Now realistically, we don't toss the ball that high because the higher you toss it, the harder it is to insure it's a good toss. But there was nothing wrong with that toss.

chseagle Tue Oct 25, 2011 07:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 795896)
Says who? The tosser is required to throw the ball at a height greater than either can jump, at a right angle between two of them, to insure the ball lands between them.

Now realistically, we don't toss the ball that high because the higher you toss it, the harder it is to insure it's a good toss. But there was nothing wrong with that toss.

IOW, the toss was a bit higher than it should of been.

Looking at the time between the ball leaving the official's hand and the jumpers hitting the ball, the ball went up approximately 20-30 feet above the release point. Generally isn't the maximum distance only about 10 feet above the release point?

APG Tue Oct 25, 2011 07:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 795897)
IOW, the toss was a bit higher than it should of been.

Looking at the time between the ball leaving the official's hand and the jumpers hitting the ball, the ball went up approximately 20-30 feet above the release point. Generally isn't the maximum distance only about 10 feet above the release point?

IOW, no...the ball was tossed at a height higher than either could jump, it went at a right angle between the two jumpers, and it was tossed so it would land between the two of them. You can't really toss the ball too high, but no one tosses it that high because the higher you toss it, the harder it is to control the toss.

Brad Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 794298)

LOL ... That was great! Well done!

Rob1968 Wed Oct 26, 2011 02:02am

. . . Slightly . . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 795896)

NFHS Officials Manual 2.2 Putting the ball in play
2.2 B 4. "Toss the ball slightly higher than either person can jump. NOTE: If the toss is poor, either official should immediately sound the whistle; signal the clock should not start and order a rejump."

(It would seem that a poor toss would include tossing it excessively high.)
Admittedly, my first toss last year, in a regular season game, went about 18 feet high, and my partner started laughing, which precluded his being able to whistle to stop the play, and we managed to continue, even though both jumpers were up and down and then up again before the ball came down to the floor.