In Memoriam

Let the bloodletting begin!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Byebye, Manny.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Oct 30th, 2003 at 02:51 AM]
Old Thu Oct 30, 2003, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Wow. I have to say, I don't understand that decision. JR, you say "buhbye, Manny", but who is really going to take him? His contract is so huge that it's highly probable that nobody's going to be willing to grab him off waivers. So he'll probably still be with the Sox on Saturday, and then what have you really done? All you've done is make him even more moody and less likely to want to play hard. I'm stumped. I'm an ardent Manny-supporter, and have been mocked for it. But I really don't get what Theo hopes to accomplish with this move.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2003, 11:41am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Wow. I have to say, I don't understand that decision. JR, you say "buhbye, Manny", but who is really going to take him? His contract is so huge that it's highly probable that nobody's going to be willing to grab him off waivers. So he'll probably still be with the Sox on Saturday, and then what have you really done? All you've done is make him even more moody and less likely to want to play hard. I'm stumped. I'm an ardent Manny-supporter, and have been mocked for it. But I really don't get what Theo hopes to accomplish with this move.
Exactly! At $20M a year, even George isn't dumb enough to claim him. I had the same thoughts as you when I read the article. I was mystified why they they would do that.There's no upside to the move that I can think of.

PS- 14 pages and still rolling!
Old Thu Oct 30, 2003, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
If this thread is still active on Opening Day 2004, then we'll really have accomplished something!!

I don't know what we'll have accomplished, but it'll be something!!
Old Sat Nov 01, 2003, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

I just read yesterday that the waiver decision was made partly b/c Manny has expressed the desire to leave the team. Apparently, he's hoping the Yankees will want him; but he wants out, regardless. Supposedly, this is at least partly b/c he got along so well with Grady.
Old Sat Nov 01, 2003, 11:22am
In Memoriam

There's a buncha stories in different papers on the net today. The Boston Globe is dumping on Manny pretty good again this morning too. Ain't nobody gonna pick up his 5 year-$100M contract, not even Goofy George.Not when he can get Vlad Guerrarro cheaper, and he's 5 years younger than Manny, and he can actually play the field. The Globe is also speculating that Pedro is gonna be history after 1 more year also.
Old Sat Nov 01, 2003, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
If this thread is still active on Opening Day 2004, then we'll really have accomplished something!!

What's so fascinating is that it's a totally baseball thread, with very little digression, on the basketball board.

Amazing.
Old Sun Nov 02, 2003, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mdray
it's that stinkin' curse of the "B" ---

Bucky
Buckner
Boone

Do you mean:
Bucky F. Dent?
Billy F. Buckner?
Aaron F. Boone?

Isn't it amazing that they all have the same middle name? If you're not sure what that name is, just ask Chuck.
It sure isn't firetruck!
Old Sun Nov 02, 2003, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Just to let you know here in Japan the Japanese leagues just started 'Fall training'. They don't wait for Spring. The Japan series ended and they started training 3 days later! And this isn't just for the rookies-all the players.
The teams figure they pay the players for a year-they have to work all year. Evidentally this only applies to the Japanese players. Some of the American players that play out here have sent their kids to my school. Their kids go home every Ocotober and come back in the Spring.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2003, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oc
Just to let you know here in Japan the Japanese leagues just started 'Fall training'. They don't wait for Spring. The Japan series ended and they started training 3 days later! And this isn't just for the rookies-all the players.
The teams figure they pay the players for a year-they have to work all year.
Wow, I didn't realize that they continued right after the Series. I agree that the teams pay the players to work all year, but here in the States, at least, most of the players do continue to work out, take swings and stay in shape over the winter; b/c they've found that it's just too hard to come to Spring Training and then try to get into playing shape. Years ago, that was the norm, of course; but not anymore.

BTW, I hear that Bobby Valentine will be managing over there this season. Interesting, just 4 years after taking the Mets to the World Series.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2003, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by oc
Wow, I didn't realize that they continued right after the Series. I agree that the teams pay the players to work all year, but here in the States, at least, most of the players do continue to work out, take swings and stay in shape over the winter; b/c they've found that it's just too hard to come to Spring Training and then try to get into playing shape. Years ago, that was the norm, of course; but not anymore.

Years ago (we're talkin' JR years here) players took a job in the off season. Except for the handful who could afford to not have to work and they generally stayed drunk anyway.
Quote:

BTW, I hear that Bobby Valentine will be managing over there this season. Interesting, just 4 years after taking the Mets to the World Series.
Didn't Valentine start managing in the Japan League? Anyway, I imagine the first Japanese word he'll learn will be "as-a-hoe", as in "Bobby, you're an as-a-hoe".
Old Mon Nov 03, 2003, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Didn't Valentine start managing in the Japan League?
Nope. He did manage there, but it's not where he started.

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseb...tine_Bobby.stm

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/7170173.htm
Old Mon Nov 03, 2003, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by oc

Yeah they start right away. Kind of insane. One of the reason players are jumping to get out of here is to extend their careers. They overtrain them and wear out early. One of the main reasons Nomo left was disagreements with his managers over pitch count. He wanted to get pulled after a decent number but was forced into pitching full games when his arm was falling off.

Big photo of Valentine in the paper today. His firing a few years back wasn't very popular. Alot of people were angry at management for firing the most succesful manager the team ever had.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Hey, at least Grady finished ahaead of Torre in the Manager of the Year ballot. . .
Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hey, at least Grady finished ahaead of Torre in the Manager of the Year ballot. . .
That's only because the voters had longer to think about Grady since the Red Sux were not in the series.

Actually, Grady did a heck of a job this year. Being a life-long Yankee fan, I think Grady made the right decision regarding Pedro -- the Yankees failed to take advantage of that gift. The Marlins flat out-everythinged (is that a word?) the Yankees. Yankees and Bosox (I was nice) are both saying...."Wait until next year."