View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 03, 2003, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by oc
Just to let you know here in Japan the Japanese leagues just started 'Fall training'. They don't wait for Spring. The Japan series ended and they started training 3 days later! And this isn't just for the rookies-all the players.
The teams figure they pay the players for a year-they have to work all year.
Wow, I didn't realize that they continued right after the Series. I agree that the teams pay the players to work all year, but here in the States, at least, most of the players do continue to work out, take swings and stay in shape over the winter; b/c they've found that it's just too hard to come to Spring Training and then try to get into playing shape. Years ago, that was the norm, of course; but not anymore.

BTW, I hear that Bobby Valentine will be managing over there this season. Interesting, just 4 years after taking the Mets to the World Series.
Yeah they start right away. Kind of insane. One of the reason players are jumping to get out of here is to extend their careers. They overtrain them and wear out early. One of the main reasons Nomo left was disagreements with his managers over pitch count. He wanted to get pulled after a decent number but was forced into pitching full games when his arm was falling off.

Big photo of Valentine in the paper today. His firing a few years back wasn't very popular. Alot of people were angry at management for firing the most succesful manager the team ever had.