View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 03, 2003, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by oc
Just to let you know here in Japan the Japanese leagues just started 'Fall training'. They don't wait for Spring. The Japan series ended and they started training 3 days later! And this isn't just for the rookies-all the players.
The teams figure they pay the players for a year-they have to work all year.
Wow, I didn't realize that they continued right after the Series. I agree that the teams pay the players to work all year, but here in the States, at least, most of the players do continue to work out, take swings and stay in shape over the winter; b/c they've found that it's just too hard to come to Spring Training and then try to get into playing shape. Years ago, that was the norm, of course; but not anymore.

Years ago (we're talkin' JR years here) players took a job in the off season. Except for the handful who could afford to not have to work and they generally stayed drunk anyway.
Quote:

BTW, I hear that Bobby Valentine will be managing over there this season. Interesting, just 4 years after taking the Mets to the World Series.
Didn't Valentine start managing in the Japan League? Anyway, I imagine the first Japanese word he'll learn will be "as-a-hoe", as in "Bobby, you're an as-a-hoe".