The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 23, 2011, 01:03pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Since when do we allow coaches to decline points?
He is a former football coach.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

OK, I have a question about this. If Team A scores on team Bs basket after a throw in, why would team A get the ball again? If Team a scores on Team As basket there is a change of possession. On any made basket, must there not be a change of possession unless superceded by a technical foul? From my perspective, Why should team A get the benefit ofball possession when they just had possession and there was a made basket? I understand the whole "not penalizing team A, but, they also should not get the benefit of an additional possession. Just trying to get clarification on this.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS

Rule 7, Section 5

ART. 7 . . . A throw-in anywhere along the end line after a goal or an awarded goal for basket interference or goaltending by a defensive player, as in 9-12 Penalty 1, the team not credited with the score shall make a throw-in from the end of the court where the goal was made and from any point outside the end line

If Team A puts the ball in Team B's basket, Team B is credited the points and since Team A wasn't credited with a score, they are awarded a throw-in. And really, Team B isn't going to feel cheated out of a possession since they got two points from the other team.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 10:47pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by larandtra View Post
OK, I have a question about this. If Team A scores on team Bs basket after a throw in, why would team A get the ball again? If Team a scores on Team As basket there is a change of possession. On any made basket, must there not be a change of possession unless superceded by a technical foul? From my perspective, Why should team A get the benefit ofball possession when they just had possession and there was a made basket? I understand the whole "not penalizing team A, but, they also should not get the benefit of an additional possession. Just trying to get clarification on this.
Who gets the ball after a made basket, the team who is awarded 2 points or the team who didn't get awarded 2 points?
Old Fri Jan 13, 2012, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

I had a girl's fresh/soph game where the visiting team put the ball in the home team's basket 2 times. THE SECOND ONE WAS THE FOLLOWING PLAY AFTER THE FIRST SCORE! I was in the C position for these plays. After the first basket I blew my whistle, counted the basket for the home team(for the table), and pointed my arm as well as verbalized the direction the visitors should be going. After the second basket, the visiting coach, called a timeout to straight her team out. P.S: The visitors lost the game by 4 points!
Old Fri Jan 13, 2012, 04:18pm
This IS My Social Life

Invitation to "Go the Wrong Way"

Have a local school which, among it's bag-o-tricks plays, sends all their players to the wrong end of the court after a time-out so that when their throw-in takes place, all they have to do is hit their open player streaking with the ball toward the vacant end of the court for an easy two points. In spite of our point toward the proper direction upon administering the throw-in, the visiting teams get caught unawares by it about 3/4 of the time.
Same team, when needing to stall, does the old "line five players up shoulder-to-shoulder and pass the ball to each other over the OOB area to draw a foul" (for which 9.10.1D was included), which works about 3/4 of the time also, mostly because coaches don't know the casebook on that one.
Oh, it's a girls' JV team.

Last edited by Freddy; Fri Jan 13, 2012 at 04:25pm.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2012, 04:45pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Since when do we allow coaches to decline points?
Who is this "we" you are referring to??
Old Sat Jan 14, 2012, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larandtra View Post
not ot be sarcastic but (even if rule did not say it) why would you let B score and then let B have the ball? B just scored, plain and simple forget who scored it, did I mention B just scored? Did mention B just made a baske?
Old Sat Jan 14, 2012, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Freddy, this was going on in Iowa and the associations said that if the offense set up like this, we were supposed to pointedly correct the teams and basically not start until the defense was at the correct end of the floor. Before that directive came out, when I saw the play, it worked almost everytime. Once the directive came out, that play went away.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2012, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckrog64 View Post
Freddy, this was going on in Iowa and the associations said that if the offense set up like this, we were supposed to pointedly correct the teams and basically not start until the defense was at the correct end of the floor. Before that directive came out, when I saw the play, it worked almost everytime. Once the directive came out, that play went away.
Seriously? Point the right direction and play ball.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2012, 09:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

MS girls game this week. White ball under their basket. Red heads down to set up defense at the other end. White is thrown off and starts dribbling that way until I make one of the few backcourt calls from lead.