The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Made a layup at wrong basket (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/80830-made-layup-wrong-basket.html)

stiffler3492 Wed Sep 21, 2011 04:09pm

Made a layup at wrong basket

Had my first official games of the season last night. Had the old made-a-layup-in-the-wrong-basket come up.

Team A inbounds from the endline furthest from their basket. A2 catches the inbounds pass and immediately shoots and makes a layup...in the wrong basket.

We stopped play, counted the two points for B, then set up for a throw in by Team A. Only problem was, I couldn't remember whether or not it's a spot throw in.

So which is it?

Toren Wed Sep 21, 2011 04:26pm

Newer official here.

Without the help of my rulebook

I would assume this to be a running the endline situation. Reason I say that is, it would penalize Team A even more than just awarding Team B 2 points, it would now cost them the ability to run the endline. That seems to me to be too much of a penalty for being ignorant on the part of Team A.

APG Wed Sep 21, 2011 04:32pm

Yes, the ensuing throw-in is anywhere along the endline. 7-5-7

JRutledge Wed Sep 21, 2011 04:47pm

Look at it this way, it is still an awarded (made) basket. So the rules apply the same as with other situations on a made basket.

Peace

Camron Rust Wed Sep 21, 2011 05:53pm

It is still a goal even if it was not a try.

JugglingReferee Wed Sep 21, 2011 06:58pm

It would be a d**k of a rule to not let A run the end line after a mess up like that.

Multiple Sports Thu Sep 22, 2011 06:11pm

Hate to be a rules guy but .......

for definition purposes only, this play is not considered a try for goal. I say that because if that player was fouled ther would be no free throws unless team A was in the bonus....... as it can't be a shooting foul.

OK - off the sopabox!!!!!!!

APG Thu Sep 22, 2011 06:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiple Sports (Post 789083)
for definition purposes only, this play is not considered a try for goal. I say that because if that player was fouled ther would be no free throws unless team A was in the bonus....... as it can't be a shooting foul.

OK - off the sopabox!!!!!!!

Already mentioned

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 788780)

Scrapper1 Thu Sep 22, 2011 07:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 788780)

For the newer officials, the reason it's not a try is that a try is defined as an attempt to throw the ball into a team's own goal. So throwing the ball into the opponent's goal still counts as two points (since a live ball passed through the basket), but is not a try.

So if a common foul occurs during the throw (at the opponent's goal), continuous motion does not apply and no free throws are awarded.

Nevadaref Fri Sep 23, 2011 06:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 789089)
For the newer officials, the reason it's not a try is that a try is defined as an attempt to throw the ball into a team's own goal. So throwing the ball into the opponent's goal still counts as two points (since a live ball passed through the basket), but is not a try.

So if a common foul occurs during the throw (at the opponent's goal), continuous motion does not apply and no free throws are awarded.

More than that, not only does the pre-release movement not get to finish, but the post-release ball in flight becomes immediately dead at the time of the foul.

Scrapper1 Fri Sep 23, 2011 07:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 789225)
More than that, not only does the pre-release movement not get to finish, but the post-release ball in flight becomes immediately dead at the time of the foul.

Crap. I knew I forgot something. :) Good catch, Nevada.

bainsey Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:54am

I've seen this happen twice in games I've worked. (One opposing coach accepted the points; the other declined.) Both times, the kids were too embarrassed to even consider running the line.

bob jenkins Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 789298)
(One opposing coach accepted the points; the other declined.)

What?

tref Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:59am

Quote:

I've seen this happen twice in games I've worked. (One opposing coach accepted the points; the other declined.) Both times, the kids were too embarrassed to even consider running the line.

Can they do that, by rule?

APG Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:41pm

Quote:

Since when do we allow coaches to decline points? :confused: