The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Question OOB after made basket

I have only heard about this play and it has been talked about for several days among many local officials. I am not getting a definitive answer on this.

Here it is.... OOB play on the base line after a made basket. A1 passes the ball to A2 who has jumped OOB, the ball goes through A2's hands bouces off the wall (I think it was a side wall) A2 retrieves the ball and throws it successfully in play to A3.

The officials call nothing... legal play. B team coach and fans are not happy.

first queston... can this be done in 5 seconds? second, does the ball become dead if it hit the side wall? does it make a difference if it was a back wall?

This was an 8th grade boys game and I am getting this information from fans/parents of team B.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
My 2 Cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknick78
I have only heard about this play and it has been talked about for several days among many local officials. I am not getting a definitive answer on this.

Here it is.... OOB play on the base line after a made basket. A1 passes the ball to A2 who has jumped OOB, the ball goes through A2's hands bouces off the wall (I think it was a side wall) A2 retrieves the ball and throws it successfully in play to A3.

first queston... can this be done in 5 seconds? second, does the ball become dead if it hit the side wall? does it make a difference if it was a back wall?

This was an 8th grade boys game and I am getting this information from fans/parents of team B.
I usually dont start my 5 second count until I know that the person who is taking the ball out of bounds has it secure in his hands. Once I start my count, if they switch, tweet!!!!! Violation!!!!
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:

1) If it's done in 5 seconds, it's legal. If A2 had oob status before receiving the ball.

B) Fans/parents never can be relied on to know the rules, nor to accurately represent what really happened.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
Once I start my count, if they switch, tweet!!!!! Violation!!!!
After a made basket?
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
After a made basket?
Yep, what is the problem with that? Made basket, A1 takes the ball OOB for a throw in, I start my count...1,2,3 and then A1 passed to A2 and A2 goes OOB's to pass back to A1......violation.......
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yep, what is the problem with that? Made basket, A1 takes the ball OOB for a throw in, I start my count...1,2,3 and then A1 passed to A2 and A2 goes OOB's to pass back to A1......violation.......
It's not entirely clear to me that in the OP A2 received the ball when he had inbounds status. The post-er said "A2 jumped oob", but I'm not sure whether A2 had landed oob before or after receiving the ball. I was thinking that that part of the play was done legally (A2 received ball after being oob) and that the qurestion was about the ball hitting the wall of the gym.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

A1 passed to ball to A2 who was out of bounds. Live ball after a basket.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A1 passed to ball to A2 who was out of bounds. Live ball after a basket.
I read your post again and it sounds like A1 after the made basket just tossed the ball the A2 for the initial throw-in after the made basket and A2 mishandled the ball and it hit the wall. A2 regained control and completed the throw in to A3. Legal play.....as long as he can get all that done within the 5 second window. My bad....should have looked a little deeper in the wording.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Ih the interest of both hi-jacking a thread and starting an argument -

OOB play on the base line after a made basket. A1, while oob, passes the ball to A2 who is OOB, the ball goes through A2's hands and goes into the stands. A2 then, 1) retrieves the ball from the home teams fans, returns to the baseline and inbounds the ball befoore the 5 second count ends. 2) attempts to retieve the ball from the visiting team's fans, however they won't give the ball to A2 before the 5 second count expires.

When do you blow your whistle?
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm
Ih the interest of both hi-jacking a thread and starting an argument -

OOB play on the base line after a made basket. A1, while oob, passes the ball to A2 who is OOB, the ball goes through A2's hands and goes into the stands. A2 then, 1) retrieves the ball from the home teams fans, returns to the baseline and inbounds the ball befoore the 5 second count ends. 2) attempts to retieve the ball from the visiting team's fans, however they won't give the ball to A2 before the 5 second count expires.

When do you blow your whistle?
My responce is:

1. Violations
2. Blow the whistle to stop the play and retrieve the ball from the fans and start a new count.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 10:40am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
My responce is:

1. Violations
2. Blow the whistle to stop the play and retrieve the ball from the fans and start a new count.
Why would number 1, where the team inbounded the ball within 5 seconds, be a violation? Yet, you would start a new count for number 2?
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

I would say legal play as long as the throw-in was made within the 5 seconod count and was made from the baseline. Violation if he retrieved the ball and made the throw-in from the sideline.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 10:59am

Quote:
Here it is.... OOB play on the base line after a made basket. A1 (assuming A1 is already OOB and a 5 second count has started) passes the ball to A2 who has jumped OOB, (A2 needs to be OOB b-4 he touches the ball) the ball goes through A2's hands bouces off the wall (I think it was a side wall) A2 retrieves the ball and throws it successfully in play to A3.

first queston... can this be done in 5 seconds? Yes second, does the ball become dead if it hit the side wall? No, but count continues. does it make a difference if it was a back wall? No
See notes in red. Perfectly legal if they get it done within 5 seconds. If the ball goes thru his hands and hits a fan. Judgement. If fans grabs the ball I would blow it dead. If the fan kicks the ball away from the inbounder, I would blow it dead and start over with endline priviledges the same.

It it hits the side wall and goes in play. That's a tougher sell. I got to think about that one.

Last edited by Old School; Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 12:01pm.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 11:04am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
If fans grabs the ball I would blow it dead. If the fan kicks the ball away from the inbounder, I would blow it dead and start over with endline priviledges the same.
No technical foul on the fan?
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 11:28am

I don't know the exact wording on this, but if the ball was to hit the side wall and then goes in play. Several conditions would apply here.

1. A2 goes gets the ball and returns OOB and passes within 5 seconds, okay. Count does not stop.
2. B2 recovers the ball inbounds after it hits the sidewall. Blow it dead, pass was not thrown-in. Have team A inbound again, same priviledges.
3. After the ball hits the sidewall, A1 recovers. Blow it dead, pass was not thrown-in. I'm struggling here with this being a violation or not. I am leaning towards a violation in that A1 can not pass the ball to himself or carry the ball onto the court for a throw-in. However, having team A inbound the ball again, endline priviledges remain, sounds reasonable too, but this is a violation.

Man, I hope this never happens in a game I'm working.