The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 03:48am
Official Forum Member

Another Play

What do we think about the initial play? And what about the subsequent action? What do we think about the official running in trying to get in between the coach and calling official?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

Hard to tell how much contact occurs. L appears to have a good angle on the play.

As for subsequent action, I can't hear the coach. I assume he said some magic words and wouldn't shut up. I have no issue with partner showing up to wrangle the coach, but he probably shouldn't have touched him (at least not at that point in the proceeding).
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

I think the original T was too demonstrative and the official shouldn't have pointed the coach back to the bench.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I think the original T was too demonstrative and the official shouldn't have pointed the coach back to the bench.
If this happened in the first 2 minutes of the game, or as a general rule, I'd agree. Part of the trouble of assessing these situations is we don't know what's gone on with this coach previously in the game: a gesture might have been warranted.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Hard to see how much contact happens on the shooter though they don't appear all that impeded. Patient whistle sees him make this shot and inclines me to thinking I could see no calling this. But the calling official as a much better angle on how and to what degree contact is happening then the camera.

Assuming some magical phrases are being issued by the coach I'm ok with all officials reactions post call.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 09:17am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

Bob:

He may have thought that he was officiating at the Staples Center and not in Bakersfield.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
What do we think about the initial play? And what about the subsequent action? What do we think about the official running in trying to get in between the coach and calling official?
I liked the positioning, the call & the presense... 3 for 3!

Since the calling official is going to be the new C, I think he could've came off the sideline & into the court a bit when he went to the table. Depending on what happened in the game up to that point, we should have a feel for how dude was going to react.

I would rather have seen the official run in & get his partner out of there!!!
It would've been nice if he threw the second T as well instead of holding off the coach as he was obviously disrespecting his partner. It looked as if he was trying to save the coach... didn't like that sequence.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
Hard to see how much contact happens on the shooter though they don't appear all that impeded. Patient whistle sees him make this shot and inclines me to thinking I could see no calling this. But the calling official as a much better angle on how and to what degree contact is happening then the camera.
But he called a charge, not a block.

From the angle we have, I don't like the call. It doesn't appear the shooter when through the defender at all. Most of his body is visible past the defender before the defender moves. I would have not call on this if I were calling the play. It looks more like the defender has round heels than he was fouled.

As for the post foul, stuff. Good first T. Good job on the partner trying to bring the coach back to the game (except for the physical contact). Second T looked reasonable, maybe a little quick but I don't know what was said. If he'd held off a couple of seconds and the coach continued, everyone in the building would have been expecting the 2nd one.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Thu Sep 01, 2011 at 11:52am.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Watch the video again. It looks like the coach bumps the official as the ref walks by.
And that is an automatic 2nd T. And whether the call was right or wrong there is no place for that...
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick43 View Post
Watch the video again. It looks like the coach bumps the official as the ref walks by.
And that is an automatic 2nd T. And whether the call was right or wrong there is no place for that...
I don't see any bump at all.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

16-17 seconds in watch the ref's left shoulder. Coach hands in pocket bumps with his right side just as the ref gets past. Looks pretty clear to me.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 03:55pm
Huck Finn

I don't like the charge call. I think the defender was leaning. Leaning + that type of contact = block or no call for me.

I don't understand why the official paused so much when giving the first T. Personally, I wouldn't have called the T with the coach (kind of) in between me and the table. If the coach is behind me, I give him a T, I walk towards the other side of the court and he still comes after me? The second T would be easy. I would be PISSED after looking at this on film and seeing what my partner did. Why did he come in so quick to try and hold back the coach? Is that his brother or something?

I would walk with a purpose to my partner. If the coach said the right/wrong thing, I would give the second T and make sure all three of us moved away from the coach. If he wants to act out too much, his actions will be caught on film and they should have security to make sure he gets home safely.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

The only issue I had on the play was the partner coming into running to the coach. That's the assistant coaches' job to restrain the coach and keep him in the game. The only reason situation I can think of an official getting between a coach is if he's been ejected and is trying to follow the official on the court. I had no issue with how the calling official went about after the call.

Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Bob:

He may have thought that he was officiating at the Staples Center and not in Bakersfield.

MTD, Sr.
He's done that and more.

Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Who is watching players while all three officials were within 10 feet of each other? Perfect opportunity for some smart mouth kid to give a quick elbow or a cheap shot to someone, and then nobody sees it. This had disaster written all over it.

From my view, I thought defender's upper body moved into the offensive player. I have a block call. But I like where the lead's position is and I don't mind him going charge, he definitely might have seen more and was in a great angle to see the whole play.

I think the Technical was warranted as the coach was definitely demonstrative enough to earn it. I felt the referees' line to the reporting area did not help the situation. To my eye the second technical might have been averted had he taken a better line to the reporting area. With that said, when a coach touches him, he earned his second no question.