The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 29, 2011, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Free Throw Violation??

And here is another one:

I recently heard a veteran/observer official say that if the free thrower bounced the ball off his foot, after it is at their disposal, he would not call a violation because it was an "accident". He also said if the free thrower was going behind his back with the ball and it fumbled away he would have the same call, "no violation".

Thoughts???
Old Mon Aug 29, 2011, 09:16pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
In the first instance, I would agree. In the second instance, he probably will get the dreaded 10 second violation or leaving the semi-circle if he is retrieving it. If it goes OOB at the end line at the basket he is attempting, then a violation for not hitting the rim. Then his coach can chew his butt for doing that stupid thing he's been telling him not to do.
Old Mon Aug 29, 2011, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

My point of view is:

If the free thrower is in control of the ball to begin the free throw, whether accident or not, it is their responsibility.
Old Mon Aug 29, 2011, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Casebook 9.1.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHSAA View Post
And here is another one:

I recently heard a veteran/observer official say that if the free thrower bounced the ball off his foot, after it is at their disposal, he would not call a violation because it was an "accident". He also said if the free thrower was going behind his back with the ball and it fumbled away he would have the same call, "no violation".

Thoughts???
Maybe the veteran should check the casebook play. And, are we to assume the ball bounced far enough outside the semi-circle that the shooter could not pick it up without stepping through the plane of the semi-circle?
Old Mon Aug 29, 2011, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHSAA View Post
My point of view is:

If the free thrower is in control of the ball to begin the free throw, whether accident or not, it is their responsibility.
The case book used to say:

9.1.1 SITUATION: A1, at the free throw line to attempt a free throw (a) muffs the pass from the official and it rolls forward; or (b) accidentally drops the ball before the throwing motion is started. RULING: In (a) and (b) the official should sound the whistle to prevent any violations and then start the free throw procedure again. No free-throw violation should be called in this situation.

Then, it was changed to say:

9.1.1 SITUATION: A1, at the free-throw line to attempt a free throw: (a) muffs the pass from the official and it rolls forward; or (b) while performing his/her habitual dribbles prior to the release, accidentally allows the ball to deflect off his/her foot into the lane. RULING: In (a), the official should sound the whistle to prevent any violations and then start the free throw procedure again. No freethrow violation should be called in this situation. In (b), a free-throw violation shall be called on A1.

I have no idea why they changed it.

But I do know the next time I see this will be the first time I see it.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith