The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

This happened last week so curious what people would do in this situation:

The situation:

I call a shooting foul during a freshman girls game. So I report the foul and I'm now the "T" while my partner administers the free throw.

I forget what the gal did with her first free throw. However, the gal (a lefty) shoots the 2nd free throw and it goes to the left of the rim. From where I was standing on the court, I could not see if the ball hit the rim or not. My partner said he could not see if it hit the rim. The coach of the opposing team and the scorekeepers all said we missed it.

Any opinions?
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally posted by coach41

The situation:

I call a shooting foul during a freshman girls game. So I report the foul and I'm now the "T" while my partner administers the free throw.

I forget what the gal did with her first free throw. However, the gal (a lefty) shoots the 2nd free throw and it goes to the left of the rim. From where I was standing on the court, I could not see if the ball hit the rim or not. My partner said he could not see if it hit the rim. The coach of the opposing team and the scorekeepers all said we missed it.

Any opinions?
If you dont have definate knowledge of the air ball, you have to let it ride. The lead will not see this unless he is very wide. I tend to on the second shot get wide so if the ball does miss on my side, I can see it.
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by coach41

The situation:

Any opinions?
Were you standing opposite the table?
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

truerookie,

Yup, I was opposite the table. The shot missed LEFT on the side of the rim where the scorekeepers, coaches, bench players and the majority of the fans were..... Plenty of folks to tell us "we missed it".
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
I would say if you missed it you have to let it go. but in a 2 man crew this should have been the responsability of the lead official right????
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 08:15pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by fonzzy07
I would say if you missed it you have to let it go. but in a 2 man crew this should have been the responsability of the lead official right????
Nope, trail on a free throw.