The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 20, 2010, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Question Free Throw Violation?

I play in a recreation league that follows the NCAA Basketball rules and regulatons. In a free throw situation I had a teammate shooting. I was behind the three point line and free throw extended. As soon as the shooter released the ball I ran in the lane and got the rebound for a putback and score. The refs blew the whistle but after debate between themselves they did not call any violation. However an opposing player threw a huge fit saying that players beyond the arc have to wait on the ball to hit the rim before entering the lane. I believe that in NCAA every player but the shooter has rebounding rights after the release. Am I wrong??
Old Sat Feb 20, 2010, 12:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkoby View Post
I play in a recreation league that follows the NCAA Basketball rules and regulatons. In a free throw situation I had a teammate shooting. I was behind the three point line and free throw extended. As soon as the shooter released the ball I ran in the lane and got the rebound for a putback and score. The refs blew the whistle but after debate between themselves they did not call any violation. However an opposing player threw a huge fit saying that players beyond the arc have to wait on the ball to hit the rim before entering the lane. I believe that in NCAA every player but the shooter has rebounding rights after the release. Am I wrong??
Yes
Old Sat Feb 20, 2010, 12:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Can't Speak For NCAA But ...

... here's the NFHS rule:

The shooter and all the players in the designated lane spaces must wait until the ball hits rim or backboard before entering the lane. Players, other than the shooter, and the players in the designated lane spaces, are to remain behind the free throw line extended and behind the three point arc, and may not penetrate the free throw line extended and the three point arc until the ball hits rim or backboard.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Feb 20, 2010, 12:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Even when the high school rules allowed the players along the lane to enter on the release, the players outside the lane had to wait. Basically, the restrictions on the players not on the lane end when they end on the shooter. When the ball hits the rim or backboard.
Old Sat Feb 20, 2010, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Here's the NCAA rule

Rule 9-1, Art. 2. After the ball is placed at the disposal of a free-thrower:
g. Players not in a legal marked lane space shall remain behind the free- throw line extended and behind the three-point field-goal line until the ball strikes the ring, flange or backboard, or until the free throw ends.
Old Sat Feb 20, 2010, 07:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotto View Post
Rule 9-1, Art. 2. After the ball is placed at the disposal of a free-thrower:
g. Players not in a legal marked lane space shall remain behind the free- throw line extended and behind the three-point field-goal line until the ball strikes the ring, flange or backboard, or until the free throw ends.
Well, there you go. The OP and the refs were wrong, the opponents were correct.
Old Sat Feb 20, 2010, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Pretty simple. Players not along the the lane line share the same restrictions as the FT shooter.