The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Thoughts ?

For HS games I like to hit the diamond about 30 minutes before game time. I find it gives me time to properly do my pre-game stuff.
I'm finding that more and more of the time partners are wanting to go out like 5 to 10 minutes before the game. Quite frankly its a rush job and i don't like starting my games off on that note.

Question is would you inform partner of 30 minutes before hand policy and then go out there alone or should I wait in parking lot for partners who show up at the buzzer ?
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

IMO People should be at the park about 45 mins before game time and hit the diamond 10-15 before game time. I'd think 30 mins would be a little long.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

At the field 45 min prior (to get dressed), dressed 30 min prior (do pre-game with partner) at field 15-20 min prior (to fill out paperwork, inspect equipment, walk field, etc.) plate meeting 5 min prior. This timeline is comfortable for me, but I often make do with less due to my issues or my partner's.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Depending on if i have worked with my partner(s) before or regularly, depends on how early i want to be there. The crew's pre-game is just as important as any other mechanic we use on the field. If i am not familiar with my partner(s) i want to spend extra time going over rotations, chasing vs. "turning back and taking a look", fly ball coverages, umpire-to-umpire signals, fair-foul, bounding over bag, check swings, confrontations, leaving early responsibilities, tag up responsibilities, and any other info that may be pertinent to the game. In order to cover all these things a 30-40 minute pre-game with partner(s) may be required. Whether its at the field prior to the game or a local restaurant, a solid pre-game is important in assuring a well officiated game. As far as arriving on the field, 15-20 minutes gives you plenty of time to walk the field, insure field is legal, and check equipment.

Arrive on field as a crew, leave field as a crew.

Last edited by 0balls2strikes; Thu Apr 30, 2009 at 11:15am.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

I'm at the fields 1 hour prior. I use that time to polish the shoes, get mentally ready by blasting some loud music over the car stereo, and get dressed. I am on the field 20-25 minutes prior. That gives me approximately:
  • 4-5 minutes to do bat and helmet inspection for the visitors
  • 4-5 minutes to do bat and helmet inspection for the home
  • 4-5 minutes to observe the home team infield
  • 4-5 minutes to observe the visitor team infield
  • 4-5 minutes for pre-game plate meeting.

Any extra time, and we get the game going a few minutes early.

My partner and I go on the field together. Always.

If my partner isn't at the field at 30 minutes prior to game time, they get a phone call. If they're not there within 15 minutes of game time, I go on the field alone. That's the only reason I would go on solo, tho.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Well me, I'm historically early.. with people who know me understanding that if they want to beat me to the park, you should have left early.. 1-2 hours early is a minimum. But 45 mins is what is expected in our assoc with a 30 hr min. If you are later than a 1/2 hour early you could be fined or replaced.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

I like to get to the field an hour to 45 minutes before the game. If I'm on the stick I start putting it on with about 25 minutes to go. I hit the field about 15 minutes before the game, check the equipment, watch infield if it's still going on, then have the plate meeting and get the game started.

In our association we have been told we should be at the field by 30 minutes before game time.

Ummm....we did have one guy show up about 2 minutes before game time this week because he's a doofus and didn't check his e-mail until late that afternoon. His commissioner was quite understanding, and said he'd let the guy's partner know...so check your assignments, just sayin'...
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

I am at the complex at a minimum, an hour before game time, unless there is some mitigating circumstance. (Really bad traffic, a parent who shows up and wants to discuss little Johnny's recent behavior...etc.) Once there, I hook up with partner and we go let the coaches know we are there. Then, back to the vehicles.

I will immediately put some "serious" jazz (Davis, Coltrane, Peterson, Montgomery, Hampton...etc.) into the CD player. Organize my stuff, make sure shoes are cleaned and shined, BS with partner.

Once we being the transformation to umpires, we usually will start doing our pregame with each other. By the time we are dressed, we should have pretty much covered everything. If not, then we discuss it as we walk to the field, which is about 20 minutes prior to game time.

Equipment check is done together, starting with the visitors dugout. We will then walk the field, making mental notes of any abnormalities. Check home team's equipment. Then gather the coaches for the plate meeting. Rinse and repeat!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
Around here, Northeast Ohio, if you get to the field an hour before, you'll probably be all by yourself. I get to the field a half hour before, and more often than not, I'm there before the visiting team.
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpirebob71 View Post
Around here, Northeast Ohio, if you get to the field an hour before, you'll probably be all by yourself. I get to the field a half hour before, and more often than not, I'm there before the visiting team.
Ditto with some in my area, but not all.

I hate feeling rushed. I like to arrive at least 30 min early, but 45 is better. Many times I don't know who my partner will be and that can be a pain. We are assigned games only, not base or plate, so If I am early I get to choose!

I like to take the field about 10/15 minutes early. If it is an unfamiliar field, maybe a bit earlier. I usually watch the teams doing the pre-game stuff. They all have kind of a standard ritual. When I see the visiting team finish "infield warm ups" it is time to go.

Most coaches around here will satrt early if possible, but none of them will start until they are good and ready! and until there is a "game time is forfiet time" mandate, we will start late if need be.
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

I like to arrive at the field about 90 minutes before game time. At 1 hour 15, I will go to the field to let the coaches know I am there, confirm game time, walk the field, confirm when I will be back to check equipment. If my partner is no there at the same time, I will perform these duties alone.

I like to get dressed slowly and would start at about 45 minutes to game time. While getting dressed I will hold a pre-game meeting with my partner. I have to pre-game meeting talking points. One for partner I have never worked with before or on a limited basis. A second list of items for partners that I work with all the time.

15 to 20 minutes before game time we will arrive at the field to check equipment and hold to pre-game conference with the coaches.

Play ball.
Old Sun May 03, 2009, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
For HS games I like to hit the diamond about 30 minutes before game time. I find it gives me time to properly do my pre-game stuff.
I'm finding that more and more of the time partners are wanting to go out like 5 to 10 minutes before the game. Quite frankly its a rush job and i don't like starting my games off on that note.

Question is would you inform partner of 30 minutes before hand policy and then go out there alone or should I wait in parking lot for partners who show up at the buzzer ?
I'd talk to your assignor about how your partners look like idiots (and, thus, reflect poorly upon you). Actually, in all seriousness, I'd keep it short and simple. Something like, "hey, boss, is everything going okay with so-and-so? He's been getting to the field kinda late lately..." No need to be a prick about it (at first), just play the dumb, concerned card.

Being that I don't have to get into 10 pounds of plate gear doing SP (though some days, I wish I did), I get to the league games about 30-45 minutes in advance. If it's something more pressing like a tourney or league playoffs, the earlier the better. If I don't take them seriously, how can they take me seriously?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sun May 03, 2009, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

I prefer to arrive an hour befor game time and take the field about 20-25 minutes before game time. This allows time for equipment check, field walk and plate meeting .
Old Sun May 03, 2009, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
I flat guarantee you that around here, if you walk on a softball field around here an hour and fifteen minutes before a game to talk to coaches, you'll be lucky to find the home coach.
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 04:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
I like to get to the field an hour to 45 minutes before the game. If I'm on the stick I start putting it on with about 25 minutes to go. I hit the field about 15 minutes before the game, check the equipment, watch infield if it's still going on, then have the plate meeting and get the game started.

In our association we have been told we should be at the field by 30 minutes before game time.

Ummm....we did have one guy show up about 2 minutes before game time this week because he's a doofus and didn't check his e-mail until late that afternoon. His commissioner was quite understanding, and said he'd let the guy's partner know...so check your assignments, just sayin'...
I'm almost always at the site 45 minutes to an hour or more before game tiem. This season, however, I got stuck in a meeting that ran over by close to an hour - this meant that I got to the site 5 minutes before the game. I was able to take advantage of the blackberry I got last fall and email my assigner and partner. My partner took the plate and had started the equipment check as I ran from the parking area to the field.

Be cause I've established that I'll arrive early, no grief from anyone.

The only other time I was anywhere near this "late", the site was moved 15 miles further away, one of the main roads was flooded - meaning I had to go 30 miles further, an I had to sit in traffic on the interstate due to an accident.