The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

I was in the stands yesterday watching a boy's semi-final varsity game. The game was being officiated by two of our top officials. They are easily in the top 5 in our association.

During a press break, team A gets trapped near the halfcourt division line and the sideline. The player bounce passes the ball along the sideline to a teammate that was near the endline and sideline. The ball narrowly missed the opponent's coach who was standing in the coaches box. The problem was that he had his arm extended over the sideline pointing towards the other side of the court. He was yelling instructions to his players.

At the half, I asked the two officials what they would have done had the ball struck the coaches arm. Without hesitation, the senior of the two officials said, "I have a do over." He went on to explain that he would have blown the ball dead, awarded it back to the offense and cautioned the coach. He was fully aware that he could have issued a technical foul to the coach.

He reasoned that this was the best course of action. He also mentioned that sometimes you have to use common sense instead of strictly what the rules call for.
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
That is what I would do. Blow the ball dead, tell the coach to watch next time, and give the ball back to the team who had control before he touched it.
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 01:08pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by eventnyc
I was in the stands yesterday watching a boy's semi-final varsity game. The game was being officiated by two of our top officials. They are easily in the top 5 in our association.

During a press break, team A gets trapped near the halfcourt division line and the sideline. The player bounce passes the ball along the sideline to a teammate that was near the endline and sideline. The ball narrowly missed the opponent's coach who was standing in the coaches box. The problem was that he had his arm extended over the sideline pointing towards the other side of the court. He was yelling instructions to his players.

At the half, I asked the two officials what they would have done had the ball struck the coaches arm. Without hesitation, the senior of the two officials said, "I have a do over." He went on to explain that he would have blown the ball dead, awarded it back to the offense and cautioned the coach. He was fully aware that he could have issued a technical foul to the coach.

He reasoned that this was the best course of action. He also mentioned that sometimes you have to use common sense instead of strictly what the rules call for.
Huzzah and hurrah. I agree entirely.