View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 21, 2003, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

A good official knows he cannot easily watch his son's game and judge the officiating crew in a completely unbiased manner. I couldn't watch my son's school games a few years back without second guessing the coaching moves (what defense they played, offensive strategy, etc.). But I knew enough to just sit and watch, and my son never knew my opinion of what the coach was doing.

As for the basic argument, I am not buying. I think college refs can do fine by HS players. The college rules are not really that different, especially when it comes to the fundamental elements of the game like travelling. I would bet that no matter how they called or no-called the "travelling," they had a consistent game with respect to this and other rules. If it consistent, play to how the game is called.

And Clay, even if your comment was accurate - it was wrong to say it to any but your fellow officials in an appropriate circumstance. You have no business criticizing your fellow officials in a public place like that. I don't criticize my fellow coaches, because I am inviting the same criticism. It is just a line you don't want to cross.