The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 19, 2000, 02:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I just completed the "join eReferee" thing which is very cool, and was reading through some of the topic articles. This one "Block Charge Blarge" is in the archive. It describes a call in which the Center called a block, and the Lead called a charge on the same play. They resolved it by calling it a double foul. I feel puzzled by this. I can see a double foul if one pushed and the other held. Or they both pushed or they both held or something. But I thought -- now, remember, here, I'm a newbie -- that a block automatically meant not a charge and vice versa. I'm not criticising this decision, but can someone please explain it to me?
Old Wed Jul 19, 2000, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker:
I just completed the "join eReferee" thing which is very cool, and was reading through some of the topic articles. This one "Block Charge Blarge" is in the archive. It describes a call in which the Center called a block, and the Lead called a charge on the same play. They resolved it by calling it a double foul. I feel puzzled by this. I can see a double foul if one pushed and the other held. Or they both pushed or they both held or something. But I thought -- now, remember, here, I'm a newbie -- that a block automatically meant not a charge and vice versa. I'm not criticising this decision, but can someone please explain it to me?

Double fouls don't have to be of the same "type". FOr example, a double foul in the post (where most happen, IMHO), could be the offense pushing in for position, while the defense holds the player.

In the specific example you asked about, you could have the defender being late to take a legal guarding position, while the offense was clearing out with the off arm to get this "blarge".
Old Wed Jul 19, 2000, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

As Bob points out, there are actual situations where you could have a charge and a block at the same time. The ugly situation is when two officials just see it different -- one thinks the defender was set and the other doesn't. Sometimes, even in the NBA, that gets resolved by calling a double foul. It's ugly, and as you've probably seen going through the archives, thea lot of people have suggestions on how not to get in that pickle in the first place.
Old Wed Jul 19, 2000, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
This play was discussed at camp. As you recall it did happen during the NCAA's this year and by rule it is a double foul. The two officials didn't see any further games in the tournament. To avoid this, get the bird dog out of this call and just come in with the fist. Only if it is in your area do you signal what you have. Even here I would pause until I know I can trust my partner not to signal. If it is out of your area, then wait until you know that you are the only one with a whistle and make the preliminary signal.
Old Wed Jul 19, 2000, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden:
As you recall it did happen during the NCAA's this year and by rule it is a double foul. The two officials didn't see any further games in the tournament.

Yes, this is the situation the article referred to. It didn't mention that the two officials didn't do any more tournament games.!!

Basically it sounds as though a double foul is possible, but often in a block/charge call, the double foul is a way out of a mess. "Ugly" one of you said.

I will definitely read back through the archives about how to avoid this mess in the first place. I see that holding the bird dog is the first step. Several times, I did not hold a signal on a double whistle because I didn't hear the other whistle. Any suggestions on this part? No wait, let me guess.... more eye contact! Slower signaling in general! Better pre-game conference! Okay, what else?
Old Mon Jul 24, 2000, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Yes, this is the situation the article referred to. It didn't mention that the two officials didn't do any more tournament games.!!

Basically it sounds as though a double foul is possible, but often in a block/charge call, the double foul is a way out of a mess. "Ugly" one of you said.

I will definitely read back through the archives about how to avoid this mess in the first place. I see that holding the bird dog is the first step. Several times, I did not hold a signal on a double whistle because I didn't hear the other whistle. Any suggestions on this part? No wait, let me guess.... more eye contact! Slower signaling in general! Better pre-game conference! Okay, what else?

The only way I know of is to practice with the fist-- then make eye contact before signaling. Practice, practice, practice. We are no different than the players. We have to learn like they do. Another way is to throw the call to a partner. I work with two different crews and we always throw the call. We as crews, have had several double whistles, but never a double call. Throwing is a great wy to eliminate that.

Old Tue Jul 25, 2000, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Question

What is throwing a call?
Old Tue Jul 25, 2000, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

This is my interpretation. Once eye contact has been made, one official will either give a slight nod or drop their fist to indicate to the other official that it's their call. Of course this only works if both officials make eye contact.
Old Tue Jul 25, 2000, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

quote: