The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 26, 2011, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
As for baseline/endline, I believe the NFHS has used both terms in official rulings/publications. As such, it has been established as a proper synonym for endline.
I've always seen the NFHS use "end line" in basketball publications. You will see baseline in the baseball/softball books though.
Old Sun Jun 26, 2011, 06:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Calling All Cars ...

Quote:
As for baseline/endline, I believe the NFHS has used both terms in official rulings/publications.
The NFHS has also used the phrase "call a timeout" in the casebook.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jul 02, 2011, 08:50am
Esteemed Forum Member

Just Don't Call Me Late For Dinner ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The NFHS has also used the phrase "call a timeout" in the casebook.
Here's only one of several examples:

4.44.3 SITUATION C: A1 receives a pass and establishes the right foot as the
pivot. While faking a pass or try, A1 lifts the pivot foot and stands on the left foot
alone while undecided as to what to do. Has A1 traveled? RULING: No. Traveling
would occur only if A1 begins a dribble or returns the pivot foot to the floor. While
in this position A1 may pass, try for goal or call a time-out.

That being said, I still like using the terms "request" and "grant" in discussing timeout situations because it stresses that this is actually a two step process.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jul 02, 2011 at 12:08pm.
Old Sat Jul 02, 2011, 04:59pm
Administrator

Quote:
Here's only one of several examples:

4.44.3 SITUATION C: A1 receives a pass and establishes the right foot as the
pivot. While faking a pass or try, A1 lifts the pivot foot and stands on the left foot
alone while undecided as to what to do. Has A1 traveled? RULING: No. Traveling
would occur only if A1 begins a dribble or returns the pivot foot to the floor. While
in this position A1 may pass, try for goal or call a time-out.

That being said, I still like using the terms "request" and "grant" in discussing timeout situations because it stresses that this is actually a two step process.

Billy:

I agree with you about "using the terms "request" and "grant" in discussing timeout situations because it stresses that this is actually a two step process." That said, it really burns my tuchus (by the way, it is 97F here in Toledo today, and boy am I glad that Mark, Jr., and I decided not to make ourselves available for either the ASA and USSSA girls' fastpitch softball tournaments in NW Ohio this weekend; the DeNucci Family has tickets for the MudHens game tomorrow night) when incorrect terminology is used in an official NFHS Ruling such as Casebook Play 4.44.3 SITUATION C.

Happy Fourth of July!!

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jul 03, 2011, 01:01pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
As for baseline/endline, I believe the NFHS has used both terms in official rulings/publications.
NFHS and NCAA, no. NBA, yes.

Having said that, I see nothing wrong with correcting proper wording in this forum. If we're so into accuracy -- as we should be -- we should walk our talk.
Old Sun Jul 03, 2011, 01:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Turnabout Is Fair Play ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
If we're so into accuracy, as we should be, we should walk our talk.
Let's be accurate here. It's not a walk, it's a travel. We should travel our talk.

Old Mon Jul 04, 2011, 09:45am
This IS My Social Life

"He took steps!"

Quote:
Let's be accurate here. It's not a walk, it's a travel. We should travel our talk.
Like what results when, after passing up a close "over the back" call, I blow my whistle for a "jump ball", then award the ball to team A for an "inbounds pass" on the "baseline", but then "call the play dead" when the thrower steps out of his "three foot area" which prompts from me a good "walking with the ball" signal after which A2 "calls a timeout" for which I signal to the bench using the "T" signal and all the players but the free-thrower stand behind the "halfcourt line" for the technical foul I inadvertantly called. Not sure why we need to be precise with our terminology.
Can't think of any more relevant situational malaprops to put into a sentence.
Besides, nobody will read this today because everybody else is out barbequing or doing whatever they do to celebrate the 235th birthday of the country of the guy who invented basketball while others like me have to maintain our diligent work schedule protecting the citizenry from terroristic sabotage and threat.
Old Mon Jul 04, 2011, 12:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Beer And Fireworks ??? What's Wrong With This Picture ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Others like me have to maintain our diligent work schedule protecting the citizenry from terroristic sabotage and threat.
I'll throw an extra "dog" on the grill, and drink an extra beer in your honor.

Old Mon Jul 04, 2011, 03:46pm
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Besides, nobody will read this today because everybody else is out grilling (barbequing is the result of cooking on a grill, I learned that from an American) or doing whatever they do to celebrate the 235th birthday of the country of the guy who invented basketball (Dr Naismith was Canadian)while others like me have to maintain our diligent work schedule protecting the citizenry from terroristic sabotage and threat.
Just saying!

Happy 4th Everyone.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Mon Jul 04, 2011, 04:15pm
This IS My Social Life

Holy Canadian Bacon, John Candy, You're Right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
Just saying!
Happy 4th Everyone.
By golly, that's a grilling I deserve on this holiday weekend! No sense sitting here wrong when I can announce that I hereby stand corrected.

BTW - Disatisfied probably with the health care system north of the border and the way the standard mountie uniform didn't fit his rather short stature, our good doctor fled southward to Springfield and eventually to Kansas where he renounced his affection for LaBatts and Molson and became an official Bud drinker and American citizen in 1925. Eh. (Thanx, SmokeEater. I learned something today!)
Old Mon Jul 04, 2011, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
Just saying!

Happy 4th Everyone.
Yes, he may have been a Canadian, but he was living/working in the US when he invented it. Maybe he left Canada for better healthcare????
Old Mon Jul 04, 2011, 06:03pm
Administrator

Quote:
Yes, he may have been a Canadian, but he was living/working in the US when he invented it. Maybe he left Canada for better healthcare????

Let's play Jeopardy today. Dr. Naismith is the answer to a men's college basketball trivia question. Therfore what is the question?

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jul 05, 2011, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

Terre de nos aïeux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy;770313/
Besides, nobody will read this today because everybody else is out barbequing or doing whatever they do to celebrate the 235th birthday of the country of the guy who invented basketball while others like me have to maintain our diligent work schedule protecting the citizenry from terroristic sabotage and threat.
Actually, the birthday of the country of the guy who invented basketball was last Friday and, if measured from Confederation, it would have been the 144th.
Old Tue Jul 05, 2011, 06:17am
Esteemed Forum Member

I'll Take Potent Potables For $100 Alex ... ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Dr. Naismith is the answer to a men's college basketball trivia question. Therfore what is the question?

Who is the only coach in the University of Kansas men's basketball program history to have a losing record?

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jul 05, 2011 at 06:24am.
Old Tue Jul 05, 2011, 08:00am
Administrator

Quote:

Who is the only coach in the University of Kansas men's basketball program history to have a losing record?

Give Billy a great big Fourth of July cigar. Dr. Naismith was hired by Kansas to be its first men's basketball coach. He came to Kansas in 1898 and retired in 1937; during the time he held many positions: PE Instructor, Chapel Director, University Physician before retiring as Athletic Director. He coached the JayHawks for nine years compiling a 55-60 record with only two winning seasons. He coached the late, great Phog Allen who went onto build the Kansas baskety ball dynasty. Dr. Allen coached Adolph Rupp, Dean Smith, Ralph Miller. So one can see the relationship be the Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina dynasties. He also coached Wilt Chamberlin during his two years at Kansas.

My mother, and native of Linwood, Kansas, graduated for Kansas during WW2 and Phog Allen was my maternal grandmother's chiropractor way way back in the day.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio