The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   need a clairification (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/73313-need-clairification.html)

observer Sat Jun 25, 2011 07:42am

need a clairification

Team "A" scores a basket, team "B" with the ball o/b,
running the baseline, releases the ball onto the playing
floor at which time team "A" kicks the ball. Officials
whistle blows indicating a kick ball. Does Team "B"
retain the baseline to run or is he/she put on a spot..

mbyron Sat Jun 25, 2011 08:30am

7-5-7b couldn't be clearer. ;)

amusedofficial Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:07am

Actually, 7-5-7b does not provide the answer without additional facts. You might want to also check out 7.5.7 Situation B.

BillyMac Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:10am

7.5.7 Situation B Works Too ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 768515)
7-5-7b couldn't be clearer.

A throw-in anywhere along the end line after a goal or an awarded
goal for basket interference or goaltending by a defensive player, as in 9-12
Penalty 1, the team not credited with the score shall make a throw-in from the
end of the court where the goal was made and from any point outside the end
line.
a. Any player of the team may make a direct throw-in or he/she may pass the
ball along the end line to a teammate(s) outside the boundary.
b. A team retains this privilege if the scoring team commits a violation or
common foul (before the throw-in ends and before the bonus is in effect)
and the ensuing throw-in spot would have been on the end line.

7.5.7 SITUATION B: Team A scores a field goal. B1 picks up the ball after the
made basket, then proceeds out of bounds to start the throw-in process. B1 runs
along the end line out of bounds while attempting to find an open teammate for
the throw-in. Immediately after B1 releases the throw-in pass, (a) the ball is
kicked by A2 near the end line; (b) the ball is kicked by A2 near the division line;
or (c) the ball is deflected out of bounds across the end line off of A2. RULING:
In (a) and (b), A2 has violated by kicking the ball. In (a), Team B will be awarded
a throw-in and retain the right to run the end line on the ensuing throw-in. In (b),
Team B will put the ball in play at a designated spot nearest the violation, which
is the division line. In (c), A2 legally contacted the ball and subsequently hit it out
of bounds, ending the throw-in. Team B is awarded a designated spot throw-in on
the end line.

Adam Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by observer (Post 768493)

It depends. Where will the ensuing throw-in be adminsitered?

BktBallRef Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:49am

Amazingly, sometimes we just can't answer a simple question.

Quote:

Observer, if the kick occurs within the area where an endline throw-in would normally be awarded, B would retain the right to run the endline.

But let's say the throwin was released and the ball was kicked by a defender FT line extended on the sideline or at the division line. A spot throw-in from the sideline would be awarded.

That's why Snaq said it dependson where will the ensuing throw-in be adminsitered.

BillyMac Sat Jun 25, 2011 01:42pm

Run The Sideline ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 768550)
A spot throw-in from the sideline would be awarded.

What? You don't get a "run the sideline" throwin on a violation after a made basket? Now that doesn't seem fair?

Freddy Sun Jun 26, 2011 03:38am

A Shot Down the Line

Quote:

Depends on if the original throw-in was from the first "baseline" or the third "baseline." ;) Did the kick take place in the infield or the outfield? :D

Adam Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 768684)
Depends on if the original throw-in was from the first "baseline" or the third "baseline." ;) Did the kick take place in the infield or the outfield? :D

Was it a thrown ball or a batted ball that was kicked?

BillyMac Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:44am

Was Doug Flutie Involved ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 768736)
Was it a thrown ball or a batted ball that was kicked?

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/P0Jsz-fSNd4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

APG Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:51am

Quote:

Baseline vs endline...along with "requesting" a timeout vs. "calling" a timeout are silly (IMO) to worry about as far as semantics go...it's not the same as people using "over the back" or "on the floor" as those phrases imply improper rules application/judgement and perpetuate rules myths...

/end mini rant :D

BillyMac Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:59am

Player, Team Member, Bench Personnel ???

Quote:

Depends on if the original throw-in was from the first "baseline" or the third "baseline." Did the kick take place in the infield or the outfield?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 768745)
Baseline vs endline, "requesting" a timeout vs. "calling" a timeout, are silly to worry about as far as semantics go.

I'm not going to disagree with you AllPurposeGamer. It is silly, but officials should use the correct language whenever, and wherever, possible. I don't mind posters, like Freddy, occasionally reminding us, with a little humor, about using the proper language, as long as it's not mean spirited, or condescending. Over the years, semantics comments on the Forum, like Freddy's, have encouraged me to think of timeouts as being a two step process, the requesting, and the granting, and that's it's not as simple as a coach calling a timeout.

APG Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 768747)
Im not going to disagree with you AllPurposeGamer. It is silly, but officials should use the correct language whenever, and wherever, possible. I don't mind posters, like Freddy, occasionally reminding us, with a little humor, about using the proper language.

My point is I'm never going to get on an official or even correct one for using either that language in that case...or if they used for example halfcourt line vs. division line vs midcourt line, etc. That kind of language does not and should not cause confusion as they just locations on the court that I hope anyone with a whistle knows and understand.

Now, when we discuss rules and concepts that have specific definitions in the rules book, it is then that I would expect an official to use proper language...so we don't have a situation where, for example, someone uses a dictionary definition of intentional rather than the rule book definition.

BillyMac Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:12pm

Misty Water Colored Memories ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 768750)
Midcourt line.

Midcourt line? You mean the one that used to separate the forecourt from the midcourt? The line that gave a dribbler a new five second closely guarded count when he crossed it? The line defined by the twenty-eight foot hashmark? That line? It doesn't exist any more. I believe that it became extinct back in the twentieth century.

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbn...732921b87d5d1b

Camron Rust Sun Jun 26, 2011 05:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 768747)
I'm not going to disagree with you AllPurposeGamer. It is silly, but officials should use the correct language whenever, and wherever, possible. I don't mind posters, like Freddy, occasionally reminding us, with a little humor, about using the proper language, as long as it's not mean spirited, or condescending. Over the years, semantics comments on the Forum, like Freddy's, have encouraged me to think of timeouts as being a two step process, the requesting, and the granting, and that's it's not as simple as a coach calling a timeout.

As for baseline/endline, I believe the NFHS has used both terms in official rulings/publications. As such, it has been established as a proper synonym for endline.