The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 17, 2011, 03:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by stir22 View Post
Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm a newer guy who just finished his third year.

What does "TN" stand for?

/thank you
"Tough Noogies".
Old Fri Jun 17, 2011, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Typical AAU nonsense. Warn the coach ONCE that you consider it unsporting behavior. Give him a chance to fix it and then T should be served. Allowing that $hlt to continue only makes it more difficult for the next crew and emboldens the coach. If the tournament director has a problem with it, you'll know soon enough...and if (s)he does have a problem with your call, that's a good reason to not work that tournament.
I concur. This behavior is not proper for basketball.

4-19-14 . . .
An unsporting foul is a noncontact technical foul which consists
of unfair, unethical, dishonorable conduct or any behavior not in accordance with
the spirit of fair play.

Old Fri Jun 17, 2011, 09:17pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I concur. This behavior is not proper for basketball.

4-19-14 . . .
An unsporting foul is a noncontact technical foul which consists
of unfair, unethical, dishonorable conduct or any behavior not in accordance with
the spirit of fair play.

It seems like AAU wrote the book on dishonorable conduct...not just the coaches either. AAU Basketball parents are like nothing else in sports.
Old Sun Jun 19, 2011, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

since when did we start officiating the game of basketball like it's a tennis match?

annoying yes....illegal no.
Old Sun Jun 19, 2011, 10:38am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
annoying yes....illegal no.
On the contrary. If the purpose of the screaming is to bait or taunt -- and that's obvious, in this case -- it's illegal. (NFHS 10-3-6c)

There are those that believe to warn, then whack, but if it's as bloodcurdling as the OP says, perhaps jumping straight to whack would be effective.

Last edited by bainsey; Sun Jun 19, 2011 at 10:49am.
Old Sun Jun 19, 2011, 10:54am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
On the contrary. If the purpose of the screaming is to bait or taunt -- and that's obvious, in this case -- it's illegal. (NFHS 10-3-6c)

There are those that believe to warn, then whack, but if it's as bloodcurdling as the OP says, perhaps jumping straight to whack would be effective.
True, but do you really think that's the purpose of screaming the entire game? No, it's to annoy. If she was screaming "ball ball ball" we'd do nothing, no matter how loudly she was doing it.

This is not a taunting situation, period.
Old Sun Jun 19, 2011, 11:07am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
it's to annoy....This is not a taunting situation, period.
Old Sun Jun 19, 2011, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
True, but do you really think that's the purpose of screaming the entire game? No, it's to annoy. If she was screaming "ball ball ball" we'd do nothing, no matter how loudly she was doing it.
That's just the point, she's NOT screaming "Ball! Ball! Ball!"

I can see some merit in that, i.e., acknowledging that her opponent has picked up the dribble.

But just screaming to be screaming? I've watched thousnads of basketball games, in person and on TV. I've never seen it done. It's not part of the game. I'll warn her and then T her up if she continues. And if the tournament director has a problem with it, he can send me home. I don't givea****.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Jun 19, 2011, 06:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
That's just the point, she's NOT screaming "Ball! Ball! Ball!"

I can see some merit in that, i.e., acknowledging that her opponent has picked up the dribble.

But just screaming to be screaming? I've watched thousnads of basketball games, in person and on TV. I've never seen it done. It's not part of the game. I'll warn her and then T her up if she continues. And if the tournament director has a problem with it, he can send me home. I don't givea****.
I've got no problem giving her a T, but I'm not going to call it taunting or baiting. It's simply unsporting, IMO, at worst. It's coached as a distraction tactic, she's not baiting or taunting the opponent.
Old Sun Jun 19, 2011, 07:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It Was As Simple As That ...

Had a player, guarding the inbounder, yell out "One. Two. Three. Four. Five.", in a scrimmage last season. I asked him to please cut it out, which he did. His coach, from another state, asked me about it. I told him that it just didn't seem "sporting" to me, plus, his player may have been trying to influence my count. Coach said, "OK".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jun 19, 2011, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

yeah ima newbie too i would use discernment when it becomes a spectacle and effects the game you should do something
Old Mon Jun 20, 2011, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Well, sure enough, she was screaming this weekend. My God, it's loud! My partner didn't want to do anything. We discussed it during the first timeout and he said he'd never heard anything like it before but didn't think it was a big deal. She actually got louder as the game went on. Late in the first half, I finally told her to cut it out which she did. At halftime, my partner said I should really let it go. Then, she started up again with about two minutes to go in the game and the whole team started screaming whenever someone on the other team took a shot. Didn't scream shot, just screamed. After the game, I asked the coach what the purpose was for teaching that and he said that he didn't teach it at all. He actually tells the kids to yell ball ball ball and shot but they just scream instead. Wow, I thought...what a liar.
Old Mon Jun 20, 2011, 06:26pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Like probably all of you, I've had girls (mostly) yell "BALL BALL BALL BALL..." on inbound plays. When that happens, the next time there's an inbound I tell the girl, "You don't have to yell ball, ball, ball. We already know it's a ball." Sometimes I get a smile and they stop. At least it's worth a try.
Old Tue Jun 21, 2011, 02:45pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearningREF View Post
Then, she started up again with about two minutes to go in the game and the whole team started screaming whenever someone on the other team took a shot. Didn't scream shot, just screamed.
This is why you nip this crud in the bud. You can't complain about it, if you have the power to do something about it, but choose not to.