The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Screaming Player (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/72602-screaming-player.html)

LearningREF Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:21am

Screaming Player

First-year ref here. A few weeks ago I officiated an AAU game between 6th grade girls. There is a girl on one team who always guards the inbound passer every time and when she does she screams bloody murder. I mean it is the loudest scream I have ever heard. Seriously, it hurt my ears and I heard this scream in my sleep for days afterward. She doesn't say anything she just screams as loud as she can like she's being murdered. Her opponents were very flustered by this scream. As you might imagine the opponent's head coach complained to us that this had to be against the rules somehow - that it was excessive. I deferred to my more veteran partner who explained that there was nothing in the rule book that prevented her from doing this.

I'm going to be officiating her team again this weekend. So, my question is couldn't this be construed as an unsportman act or an act designed to bait the opponent and therefore a technical - I mean they wanted to punch her lights out? How would you handle this situation?

Adam Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:25am

It's annoying. It's bush league.

If I was the opponent, she'd find the ball in her gut. That'll happen if she does it in the high school game.

As an official, I'd be hard pressed to find a reason to address it. 6th grade AAU, I might just tell her to knock it off if it hurts my ears.

hoopguy Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:42am

Our board had instructions for approximately 1 year to call an unsporting T for this behavior. That instruction was rescinded.

At this point I would do what Snaqs said. Tell her to knock it off. Also, if one of the girls punches her, I would throw both of them out. The puncher for fighting and the yeller for instigating the fight.

twocentsworth Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:55am

if you've ever had a younger brother or sister, you know that they "do things" just to annoy you.....when you ignore them - they stop.

same principle here (or should i say "hear"....hehehe).

just ignore it. as an official, you should be the calmest person on the floor - don't let this bother you. it will stop. you can add this to your list of "funny" bball stories you'll tell people as you get more officiating experience.

Adam Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 766316)
if you've ever had a younger brother or sister, you know that they "do things" just to annoy you.....when you ignore them - they stop.

same principle here (or should i say "hear"....hehehe).

just ignore it. as an official, you should be the calmest person on the floor - don't let this bother you. it will stop. you can add this to your list of "funny" bball stories you'll tell people as you get more officiating experience.

I only disagree that it'll stop. It obviously didn't.

At higher levels, it's up to the opponents to stop it, and it would be pretty simple. Lower levels (like 6th grade AAU), I wouldn't hold it against an official who told her to stop and then gave her a T if she refused.

twocentsworth Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 766325)
I only disagree that it'll stop. It obviously didn't.

At higher levels, it's up to the opponents to stop it, and it would be pretty simple. Lower levels (like 6th grade AAU), I wouldn't hold it against an official who told her to stop and then gave her a T if she refused.

what would the basis for the T be?

Adam Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 766328)

In a 6th grade AAU game? You could invoke the "not limited to" provision, or the God rule (2-3). It doesn't really matter, IMO. Again, I'm talking about a situation where the player is screaming so loud it hurts the officials' ears.

LearningREF Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:24pm

Thanks guys. I'd like to just ignore it and may have no choice but to do that.

FYI - It doesn't stop. You can tell it's coached. The few minutes she was out of the game , her replacement came in and did the same thing but she didn't have the pipes to make my ears bleed. The coach is also a loudmouth who doesn't stay in the coach's box, etc. What concerns me the most is that it really riles up the crowd - mostly the parents from the other team, which then riles up the screamer's team parents. They start yelling onto the court "Make her stop! Tell the coach to play the game fair!" and more.

Adam Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LearningREF (Post 766333)

FYI - It doesn't stop. You can tell it's coached. The few minutes she was out of the game , her replacement came in and did the same thing but she didn't have the pipes to make my ears bleed. The coach is also a loudmouth who doesn't stay in the coach's box, etc. What concerns me the most is that it really riles up the crowd - mostly the parents from the other team, which then riles up the screamer's team parents. They start yelling onto the court "Make her stop! Tell the coach to play the game fair!" and more.

T him for this. It'll stop. No way do you put up with this, especially in a 6th grade AAU game.

bainsey Fri Jun 17, 2011 01:26pm

Quote:

It's taunting. Whack.

MD Longhorn Fri Jun 17, 2011 01:37pm

First time she does it, blow the whistle, run over to her with genuine concern and ask if she's ok. When she says yes, blow it live and when she does it again, blow it dead and run over to her with genuine concern. Etcetera. She (or more likely coach) will get the point if he wants to play.

And PS - a coach who is intentionally straddling that line of sportsmanship should definitely be rung for leaving his coaching box. First time. Every time.

Bad Zebra Fri Jun 17, 2011 02:21pm

Quote:

Typical AAU nonsense. Warn the coach ONCE that you consider it unsporting behavior. Give him a chance to fix it and then T should be served. Allowing that $hlt to continue only makes it more difficult for the next crew and emboldens the coach. If the tournament director has a problem with it, you'll know soon enough...and if (s)he does have a problem with your call, that's a good reason to not work that tournament.

Mark Padgett Fri Jun 17, 2011 02:55pm

Quote:

I would invoke the "TN" rule.

Raymond Fri Jun 17, 2011 02:57pm

Quote:

...The coach is also a loudmouth who doesn't stay in the coach's box, etc. ...

This is something you do not ignore and for which there is a rule.

stir22 Fri Jun 17, 2011 03:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 766361)
I would invoke the "TN" rule.

Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm a newer guy who just finished his third year.

What does "TN" stand for?

/thank you