View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 17, 2011, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Screaming Player

First-year ref here. A few weeks ago I officiated an AAU game between 6th grade girls. There is a girl on one team who always guards the inbound passer every time and when she does she screams bloody murder. I mean it is the loudest scream I have ever heard. Seriously, it hurt my ears and I heard this scream in my sleep for days afterward. She doesn't say anything she just screams as loud as she can like she's being murdered. Her opponents were very flustered by this scream. As you might imagine the opponent's head coach complained to us that this had to be against the rules somehow - that it was excessive. I deferred to my more veteran partner who explained that there was nothing in the rule book that prevented her from doing this.

I'm going to be officiating her team again this weekend. So, my question is couldn't this be construed as an unsportman act or an act designed to bait the opponent and therefore a technical - I mean they wanted to punch her lights out? How would you handle this situation?