The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 02, 2011, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Can't find a case play.

Thanks, all for the help.

A1 launches a 60 footer with two seconds on the clock. B1 fouls him while the ball is in the air. Horn blows. A1 shoots three free throws. B1 coach goes nuts, saying,"you can't call that." I T him up. A1 shoots 2 more.

My question is, does A1 get possession automatically to start the second half regardless of which way the possession arrow is pointing?

Thank you.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2011, 08:08am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by stir22 View Post
Thanks, all for the help.

A1 launches a 60 footer with two seconds on the clock. B1 fouls him while the ball is in the air. Horn blows. A1 shoots three free throws. B1 coach goes nuts, saying,"you can't call that." I T him up. A1 shoots 2 more.

My question is, does A1 get possession automatically to start the second half regardless of which way the possession arrow is pointing?

Thank you.
It depends. When was the T called. If it was called after the third free throw was completed, then the T is part of the third quarter (and those two wouldn't be shot until the start of the 2nd half), giving A possession due to the T. If it was before the third free throw, it's part of the 2nd quarter (shoot right away), and third quarter possession goes with the arrow.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2011, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
If it was before the third free throw, it's part of the 2nd quarter (shoot right away), and third quarter possession goes with the arrow.
Yep, and to answer the follow-up question about this provision, the answer is, "yes, the throw-in that normally follows free throws for a T can disappear, and does not carry over between periods."
Old Thu Jun 02, 2011, 08:44am
Lighten up, Francis.

Two citations may be of help to you, Stir. The first is in the rulebook, in Rule 5. Rule 5-6, Exception 3 states in part: "The quarter or extra period ends when the free throw(s) and all related activity have been completed." This means that if you have to shoot free throws (even with no time on the clock) at the end of the quarter, you can all kinds of things happen (unsporting or intentional technicals, fighting, even free throw violations) before the period actually ends. And if you do have a technical foul during that time, the exception also says that "no penalty or part of a penalty carries over from one period to the next"; so you shoot the free throws as part of the current quarter, but the throw-in that normally follows would NOT be administered to start the next quarter.

The other citation is from the casebook, in Rule 5, as you might've guessed. It's 5.6 COMMENT. I'm not going to type it out, but it's applicable to your situation.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2011, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

That's what i thought...thanks to all.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2011, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Out of curiousity (boredom) when was the T assessed & what did your partner think should happen?
Old Thu Jun 02, 2011, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Out of curiousity (boredom) when was the T assessed & what did your partner think should happen?
Oh, sorry. It's a hypothetical. I just finished up my third year, and 5-6 of us younger guys (in ref years) have a cup of coffee a couple of times a week in the off-season and come up with those unlikely scenarios that we will probably see at some point, then figure out the rule. Also, I'm headed to camp this weekend as a first-timer, and just boning up on all that I don't know. Which is more than it should be, but less than it was.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2011, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Knowing what we dont know is half the battle... good luck with camp!!
Old Thu Jun 02, 2011, 05:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

5.6 Comment ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
The other citation is from the casebook, in Rule 5, as you might've guessed. It's 5.6 COMMENT.
5.6 COMMENT A: The expiration of time for a quarter or extra period does not
always cause the ball to become dead nor end the quarter or extra period. The
ending of a quarter or extra period often lags both the expiration of time and the
ball becoming dead. If there is no foul, it ends at the time the ball becomes dead.
If the ball is in flight following a try or tap, this coincides with the expiration of
playing time. If the ball is in flight following a try or tap and there is no foul, the
quarter or extra period ends when the ball becomes dead. If there is a foul after
time expires and before the ball becomes dead, the quarter or extra period ends
after the resulting free throw(s). The free throw(s) is a part of that quarter or extra
period and, if a tie is involved, the result of the free throw(s) will determine
whether additional play is required.

5.6 COMMENT B: If a technical foul occurs after the ball has become dead to
end a quarter, the next quarter is started by administering the free throws. This
applies even when the foul occurs after the first half has ended. It also applies
when the foul occurs after the second half has ended, provided the score is tied.
If the score is not tied, the free throws are administered unless the outcome of
the game will not be affected. If the outcome is not already decided, the free
throws are attempted immediately as if the foul had been a part of the fourth
quarter. In this case, if any overtime period is necessary, it will start with a jump
ball. The division line throw-in following the technical foul cannot be carried over
to the overtime as the fourth quarter ended with the last free throw. (5-6-4)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jun 02, 2011, 05:30pm
This IS My Social Life

Stratavarii

Quote:
Originally Posted by stir22 View Post
. . . 5-6 of us younger guys (in ref years) have a cup of coffee a couple of times a week in the off-season and come up with those unlikely scenarios that we will probably see at some point, then figure out the rule. Also, I'm headed to camp this weekend as a first-timer, and just boning up on all that I don't know . . .
This is music to my ears!