The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 27, 2003, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Rule interpretation by Steven Ellinger

Steven Ellinger, Constitution Chair, IAABO (99-2000), is a respected official and writer of the NASO The Official’s Guide: Basketball Myths (‘98). Steven officiates NCAA (Division 1) and State High School ball (Texas). He operates basketball camps in the Houston area during summer months. Steve is a practicing lawyer in the State Of Texas.

Text comes from Chapter Three - page 37 (Basketball ‘97-‘98).

Slapping the backboard is always a technical foul. Myth #8.

Reality: Officials who will want to call everything will love this play. Let’s review the rule first. A player shall not intentionally slap either backboard or cause either ring to vibrate while the ball is in flight during a try or tap, or is touching the backboard, or is on or in the basket, or in the cylinder above the basket (ncaa/10-3-h) Federation also includes the script- A player shall not place a hand on the backboard to gain an advantage (Fed 10.3.6- Player Technical). The penalty is a technical foul.

If the ball is not in flight on a try or a tap, not touching the backboard, not in the cylinder ring, or not on or within the basket, slapping the backboard is not a technical foul. (You could have an unsportsmanlike technical foul if a slap other than in those situations described above is for “showboating” or intimidation purposes.) If, however, the backboard is intentionally slapped when the ball is in flight on a try or a tap, is touching the backboard, is in the imaginary cylinder, or is on or within the basket, it is a technical foul.

The intent behind slapping the backboard rule is to penalize deliberate contact with the backboard. If a defensive player makes a play for the ball during rebounding action and incidentally contacts the backboard, it is a no-call. However, when the backboard is slapped intentionally during any of the above situations, a technical foul must be called.

Don’t confuse the play with basket interference, because points can never be awarded for that infraction. Here’s an example: the ball is on the rim when a defensive player intentionally slaps the backboard. Because of the vibration, the ball bounces off the rim and does not enter the goal. A technical foul is called correctly but basket interference can never be called. Many officials incorrectly count the goal and administer the technical foul. The correct rule may not seem fair, but that’s the rule. Call that little wrinkle “myth 8 ½”.

Additional text must be read by the concerned official- Fed. Case-Play 10-3-6, p.72

Contacting the backboard

10.3.6 Play. A1 tries for goal. B1 jumps as if to block the shot but instead slaps or strike the backboard or vibrates the ring as a result of pulling on the net. The ball: (a) goes into the basket; or (B) does not enter the basket. RULING: In both (a) and (b), a technical foul is charged to B1. In (a) the basket counts and in (b) there is no basket.

Comment: The purpose of the rule is to penalize intentional or deliberate contact with the backboard. Contact, which occurs incidentally in playing the game is allowed, but when slapping or striking is intentional or deliberate or is so forceful it cannot be ignored, a technical foul must be charged. The player who contacts the board illegally is either hoping the contact will cause the try to be unsuccessful, or is doing so to draw attention, or as a means of frustration.

PLEASE DISCUSS THIS PLAY-SITUATION WITH YOUR PARTNER IN PRE-GAME TO ENSURE CONSISTENCY FROM YOUR “TEAM”.

Old Mon Jan 27, 2003, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Where can we get archive copies of those books. I had that particular edition and have since misplaced it. I have referred to the book many times in our association discussions and would like a copy. Please respond if you can help.
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Re: Rule interpretation by Steven Ellinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf
... (You could have an unsportsmanlike technical foul if a slap other than in those situations described above is for “showboating” or intimidation purposes.)
Would this include a situation where a player dunked the ball, then slapped the backboard, before returning to the floor?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

I think that it does, Tony. However, I have seen this many times on a dunk or a lay-up, but have never called it. Now if I have a jerk player or coach I just might pull it out!
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

NASO Books

I'm not sure where the old guide bookscan be purchased, but I believe the Basketball Myths article also appeared in Referee Magazine in '97 or '98. You might want to check NASO or Referee Books (1-800-733-6100). I'm not recommending them, just posting in reply to Buckley11's request. No spam intended.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Pretty impressive inadvertant slap of the backboard to knock the ball off the rim. When I used to slap the backboard that hard my only goal was to disrupt the ball from going in the rim. My call would be "T" if it knocked ball off rim. These kids know its not called and it should be in my oppinion added to the list of goal tending criteria. jmo. Would make sense to count the goal then to T someone up.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Rule interpretation by Steven Ellinger

JimGolf, you have posted ELLINGER'S good strong position on slapping the backboard. Although, I am uncertain about his Basket Interference, BI, information. Maybe it is just the way (context) he worded the following paragraphs...

[QUOTE]

Don’t confuse the play with basket interference, because points can never be awarded for that infraction. Here’s an example: the ball is on the rim when a defensive player intentionally slaps the backboard. Because of the vibration, the ball bounces off the rim and does not enter the goal. A technical foul is called correctly but basket interference can never be called. Many officials incorrectly (CALL Basket Interference - my clarification,)count the goal and administer the technical foul. The correct rule may not seem fair, but that’s the rule.

Comment: The purpose of the rule is to penalize intentional or deliberate contact with the backboard. Contact, which occurs incidentally in playing the game is allowed, but when slapping or striking is intentional or deliberate or is so forceful it cannot be ignored, a technical foul must be charged. The player who contacts the board illegally is either hoping the contact will cause the try to be unsuccessful, or is doing so to draw attention, or as a means of frustration.
[QUOTE]

My points:
#1 An official should award points for BI if the violation is by the defense (9-11 Penalty 1). However, Ellinger is correct that BI is the WRONG call for slapping the backboard. The definition of BI is very specific and it includes contact with the ball, basket, or net - NOT THE BACKBOARD. BI is the wrong call for slapping the backboard.

#2 Ellinger's last sentence (that I have quoted) is also a bit of a twist from the casebook statement. 10.3.6 in the casebook says:
Quote:
A player who strikes either backboard so forcefully it cannot be ignored BECAUSE it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration MAY be assessed a technical foul pursuant to Rule 10-3-8 (part (a) I assume - unsporting foul indicating resentment).
I think Ellinger got it right because he inserted the word "illegal." However, the case book implies that acts drawing attention or venting frustration MAY be worthy of a T (that these acts are illegal).

Ellinger is stepping a little beyond the rules and being very firm about his decision - he uses the word "must" rather than may. And he states illegality before he states the criteria for illegality.

Just a couple observations about the information you have quoted. Thanks Jim.
Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

rim shaking?

I usually cover this scenario in pre-game because the slapping of the backboard to "draw attention" seems to be happening a lot in my league. Where there is frequently disagreement with some of my partners is over the criteria for defining "draw attention". A common thing I hear is, the slap should be a no call unless the rim is shaking. The rationale being that it is the shaking rim that draws the attention of everyone not the noise of the slap, which is all to common a noise. How do others on the board define "drawing attention"? must the basket be shaking?

thanks
GTW