The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Slapping the Backboard (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/7025-slapping-backboard.html)

rpirtle Fri Jan 17, 2003 02:49pm

I know you guys have already answered this before. But can you indulge me and help me out on the following sitch. Here is how the scenario was described to me (varsity boys high school game):

Player A1 goes in for a layup. Player B1 attempts to block the shot. Player B1 misses the ball and inadvertantly slaps the backboard. This causes the ball (which is resting on the ring) to deflect (or bounce) off the ring and the try is not successful.

The official that described the situation to me said both officials blew their whistles. However, when they got together, they were not in agreement as to what violation had just occurred. One thought the play was basket interference and the try should be counted. The other stated that slapping the backboard was a "T" and Team A should shoot freethrows.

To complicate matters, I indicated I thought it was basket interference and the try should be counted. But one of my peers feels this situation does not meet the criteria of BI and a third option is actually the correct answer...a "no call". Please help.

JRutledge Fri Jan 17, 2003 02:57pm

No Basket Interference!!!

If the play happen as it was discribed, there should have been nothing to call. You cannot have Basket Interference (need to read the definitions) by touching the backboard at all in the first place. You could have a T if the officials feel that the action was not appart of a block attempt. But as long as the block attempt was missed or simply inadvertently hit the backboard by the defender in this case, you have to just leave this alone.

Your friends did what many do, they listen to fans instead of the actual rulebook. This is one of those "Basketball Myths" that Referee Magazine has written about a few times over the years. This is probably why they did not know what to do.

Peace

stewcall Fri Jan 17, 2003 02:58pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rpirtle
I know you guys have already answered this before. But can you indulge me and help me out on the following sitch. Here is how the scenario was described to me (varsity boys high school game):

Player A1 goes in for a layup. Player B1 attempts to block the shot. Player B1 misses the ball and inadvertantly slaps the backboard. This causes the ball (which is resting on the ring) to deflect (or bounce) off the ring and the try is not successful.

The official that described the situation to me said both officials blew their whistles. However, when they got together, they were not in agreement as to what violation had just occurred. One thought the play was basket interference and the try should be counted. The other stated that slapping the backboard was a "T" and Team A should shoot freethrows.

It can not be basket interference- You can not count the shot. If the vibration was rules strong enough to to jar the ball from the basket one could call a T. When this is discussed at our board- most say the slapping unless clearly intentional is ignored and play continues
Stew in VA
CVBOA

To complicate matters, I indicated I thought it was basket interference and the try should be counted. But one of my peers feels this situation does not meet the criteria of BI and a third option is actually the correct answer...a "no call". Please help.

moose69 Fri Jan 17, 2003 03:46pm

No call for a legitimate shot block attempt. Good job by the officals to get together and talk, but what result did they come up with? As I said, there should be no call as long as they are trying to block the shot.

Tyler

ScottParks Fri Jan 17, 2003 04:03pm

Same answer here
http://www.officialforum.com/showthr...?threadid=6569

rpirtle Fri Jan 17, 2003 04:04pm

Thanks for the replies. One more question, if you don't mind. Am I correct is saying that we interpret the Rule Book to say that, "A player shall not, while a try or tap is in flight or is touching the backboard or is in the basket or in the cylinder above the basket, intentionally slap or strike the backboard or "intentionally" cause the ring to vibrate"? Although the word "intentionally" does not appear in the Rule Book before the phrase "cause the ring to vibrate", we interpret that this was the intent of the rule. Correct?

Again, thanks for everyone's help.

PS - In answer to your question, Moose, the "R" in the game (a new transfer to our chapter and a D1 official on the women's side) indicated he was positive of his high school rules knowledge and ruled that slapping the backboard was an automatic "T". They allowed Team A to shoot two free throws. Guess you're never too old to learn...that applies to me as well...;)

rockyroad Fri Jan 17, 2003 04:28pm

Quote:

(a new transfer to our chapter and a D1 official on the women's side)
Damn those NCAA Women's refs!!!

JRutledge Fri Jan 17, 2003 04:42pm

Quote:

Thanks for the replies. One more question, if you don't mind. Am I correct is saying that we interpret the Rule Book to say that, "A player shall not, while a try or tap is in flight or is touching the backboard or is in the basket or in the cylinder above the basket, intentionally slap or strike the backboard or "intentionally" cause the ring to vibrate"? Although the word "intentionally" does not appear in the Rule Book before the phrase "cause the ring to vibrate", we interpret that this was the intent of the rule. Correct?

Again, thanks for everyone's help.

PS - In answer to your question, Moose, the "R" in the game (a new transfer to our chapter and a D1 official on the women's side) indicated he was positive of his high school rules knowledge and ruled that slapping the backboard was an automatic "T". They allowed Team A to shoot two free throws. Guess you're never too old to learn...that applies to me as well...;)

With all due respect to your D1 Official transfer, I would probably assume that he does not see alot of "above the rim" play on the Women's side. I am speaking partly from experience having done some D3 games and officiating a few D1 prospects in HS. Not many girls are able to consistently slap the backboard.

I do not have the rulebook in front of me, but the slap has to be intentional. If you read the casebook, there is a play that discribes an accidentally (or at least there was in the book) slapping the backboard and requiring nothing to be called. So it seems like even the guys at the top can make mistakes.

Peace

Int Fri Jan 17, 2003 05:18pm

Case 10.3.6 Comment. The purpose of the rule is to penalize intentional or deliberate contact. Contact which occurs incidentally in play is allowed but when it is so forceful it cannot be ignored... I'll stop there. If the slap causes the structure to vibrate and the ball is affected, this cannot be ignored.
Technical foul, not basket interference.

MN 3 Sport Ref Fri Jan 17, 2003 05:24pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Int
Case 10.3.6 Comment. The purpose of the rule is to penalize intentional or deliberate contact. Contact which occurs incidentally in play is allowed but when it is so forceful it cannot be ignored... I'll stop there. If the slap causes the structure to vibrate and the ball is affected, this cannot be ignored.
Technical foul, not basket interference.

That only applies if it is "intentional", you should have finished the sentence in the case book.

"....ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to player or vent frustration..."

A legit attempt to block a shot that vibrates Backboard is nothing regardless of what ball does. IMO it does seem though that this may cause ball not to go in once in a while. Maybe NFHS will realize this and make an exception to call BI?.? Until then it is nothing.

canuckrefguy Fri Jan 17, 2003 05:36pm

How about this....NCAA rules

Team B leads Team A 76-73 with :05 left in second half.

A1 attempts a 3-point shot

Just before ball hits rim, B1 violently slaps backboard, causing it to shake. Shot bounces off rim and is no good.

Time expires.

A "T" here gives two free throws, A loses by one.

Basket interference counts the hoop...game tied.

What do you do?

Obviously no legit attempt by B1 to block shot...what is the correct call here?

Jurassic Referee Fri Jan 17, 2003 06:49pm

The correct call is to charge B1 with a T in the score book,no FT's are shot because 2 points won't determine a winner,Team B wins by 3 and you all go for a brownpop. That's both NFHS and NCAA rules.

BktBallRef Fri Jan 17, 2003 11:29pm

Quote:

If the ball was resting on the ring when the backboard was slapped, then the player couldn't possibly have been trying to block the shot.

WHACK!

canuckrefguy Fri Jan 17, 2003 11:30pm

Thanks, Jurrassic, but I'm wondering if that's a rule that may be reviewed someday.

Taking away a 3-point opportunity but penalizing only 2 FT's could conceivably have some teams slapping the backboard on purpose in some situations.

bob jenkins Sun Jan 19, 2003 09:51am

Quote:

Originally posted by canuckrefguy
Thanks, Jurrassic, but I'm wondering if that's a rule that may be reviewed someday.

Taking away a 3-point opportunity but penalizing only 2 FT's could conceivably have some teams slapping the backboard on purpose in some situations.

I doubt it.

If the 3-pointer is good, we go to OT.

If a player slaps the backboard and the shot is good, we lose the game (it's unlikely that the best shooter on the team is going to miss two in a row).

I don't think a coach is going to take that chance.