View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 04:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by rpirtle
Thanks for the replies. One more question, if you don't mind. Am I correct is saying that we interpret the Rule Book to say that, "A player shall not, while a try or tap is in flight or is touching the backboard or is in the basket or in the cylinder above the basket, intentionally slap or strike the backboard or "intentionally" cause the ring to vibrate"? Although the word "intentionally" does not appear in the Rule Book before the phrase "cause the ring to vibrate", we interpret that this was the intent of the rule. Correct?

Again, thanks for everyone's help.

PS - In answer to your question, Moose, the "R" in the game (a new transfer to our chapter and a D1 official on the women's side) indicated he was positive of his high school rules knowledge and ruled that slapping the backboard was an automatic "T". They allowed Team A to shoot two free throws. Guess you're never too old to learn...that applies to me as well...
With all due respect to your D1 Official transfer, I would probably assume that he does not see alot of "above the rim" play on the Women's side. I am speaking partly from experience having done some D3 games and officiating a few D1 prospects in HS. Not many girls are able to consistently slap the backboard.

I do not have the rulebook in front of me, but the slap has to be intentional. If you read the casebook, there is a play that discribes an accidentally (or at least there was in the book) slapping the backboard and requiring nothing to be called. So it seems like even the guys at the top can make mistakes.

Peace