View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stewcall
Quote:
Originally posted by rpirtle
I know you guys have already answered this before. But can you indulge me and help me out on the following sitch. Here is how the scenario was described to me (varsity boys high school game):

Player A1 goes in for a layup. Player B1 attempts to block the shot. Player B1 misses the ball and inadvertantly slaps the backboard. This causes the ball (which is resting on the ring) to deflect (or bounce) off the ring and the try is not successful.

The official that described the situation to me said both officials blew their whistles. However, when they got together, they were not in agreement as to what violation had just occurred. One thought the play was basket interference and the try should be counted. The other stated that slapping the backboard was a "T" and Team A should shoot freethrows.

It can not be basket interference- You can not count the shot. If the vibration was rules strong enough to to jar the ball from the basket one could call a T. When this is discussed at our board- most say the slapping unless clearly intentional is ignored and play continues
Stew in VA
CVBOA

To complicate matters, I indicated I thought it was basket interference and the try should be counted. But one of my peers feels this situation does not meet the criteria of BI and a third option is actually the correct answer...a "no call". Please help.