The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Wed May 11, 2011, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Youngest Official You Have Worked With or Seen

Just wondering if any of you on here have worked with some pretty young officials or have any in your associations. How "old" you define young is up to yall.
Old Wed May 11, 2011, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

i'm 22, but there are a couple of guys younger than i am in my association (i think).
Old Wed May 11, 2011, 02:41pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Our local kids rec league trains HS kids for rec games. However, years ago, we (meaning mostly me) actually would train MS kids to work 3rd and 4th grade games.
Old Wed May 11, 2011, 02:48pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
In our Assocition we have had several 18-20 yr olds work MS, F/JV games and the like. Rare though. We have one early 20's official here that does HS V games. He's the "exception to the rule."

Similar to Mark, our Rec League will train anyone over 13 to do games. The youngest officials will do the 7/8 yr old league (they don't keep score). Based on evaluations is what level of game you will do up to 18U. I've had some 19/20 yr olds do 18U games with me before. Again, they're the exception to the rule - book knowledge, maturity, wisdom, experience, game management skills, composure, etc. are tough at that young age and all come into play. Some develop it earlier than others.

Maybe Justacoach will come along and let you know what his kids do/have done. I've reffed with them for yrs at many levels.
Old Wed May 11, 2011, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Our local kids rec league trains HS kids for rec games. However, years ago, we (meaning mostly me) actually would train MS kids to work 3rd and 4th grade games.
Good for you Mark! I think that's something to be very proud of. I've attempted to get more young people in the area to do basketball and baseball but I meet a lot of resistance and lack of interest. I donate some time to the local University's intramural program each year and that subdues (a little) my ambitious to get the younger crowd involved.

-Josh
Old Wed May 11, 2011, 03:02pm
Courageous When Prudent

HS Varsity: We had a 20 year-old work on my board this season. His father is an "esteemed" member of this forum

College: Had 2 friends who broke in the college ranks at the age of 22.
Old Wed May 11, 2011, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
In our Assocition we have had several 18-20 yr olds work MS, F/JV games and the like. Rare though. We have one early 20's official here that does HS V games. He's the "exception to the rule."

Similar to Mark, our Rec League will train anyone over 13 to do games. The youngest officials will do the 7/8 yr old league (they don't keep score). Based on evaluations is what level of game you will do up to 18U. I've had some 19/20 yr olds do 18U games with me before. Again, they're the exception to the rule - book knowledge, maturity, wisdom, experience, game management skills, composure, etc. are tough at that young age and all come into play. Some develop it earlier than others.

Maybe Justacoach will come along and let you know what his kids do/have done. I've reffed with them for yrs at many levels.
I just turned 20 and find it hard (maybe more weird) to officiate Varsity and Div. II ball under what you described (composure, wisdom, ect.) Not to say that I don't convey those qualities, but to convey them consistently is what I find difficult. The whole place notices when someone my age walks onto the court and to me it feels as if I have to perform at a higher level with being the "odd one out" and youngest. Its hard to talk on the subject in my association since I have the next to youngest beat by 8 - 9 years, so I thought I would bring it up here. Does anyone view this the same or offer any tips?
Old Wed May 11, 2011, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

I started officiating when I was 14.
I am 20 now and work HS varsity and Junior College Womans.
Old Wed May 11, 2011, 03:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

I cannot even remember. Not something I concern myself with, but for a long time not many people were younger than me. Even the newer guys are older than I am now in many cases. I would suspect I have worked with an 18 year old, but I cannot remember for sure.

Peace
Old Wed May 11, 2011, 06:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

My Wild Oats Have Turned Into All-Bran (Ziggy) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
For a long time not many people were younger than me.
Everybody that I work with, or observe, is younger than me. And they're getting younger every year. At least the players stay the same age every year.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed May 11, 2011, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

I've worked with some officials who are 18 and just starting out. I have also been that 18 year working with veteran officials. Now, I am 25 and back in the role of being the young official since I am working D2 and D3 college ball.
Old Wed May 11, 2011, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Kingsman1288
I'm 22...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHSAA View Post
I just turned 20 and find it hard (maybe more weird) to officiate Varsity and Div. II ball under what you described (composure, wisdom, ect.) Not to say that I don't convey those qualities, but to convey them consistently is what I find difficult. The whole place notices when someone my age walks onto the court and to me it feels as if I have to perform at a higher level with being the "odd one out" and youngest. Its hard to talk on the subject in my association since I have the next to youngest beat by 8 - 9 years, so I thought I would bring it up here. Does anyone view this the same or offer any tips?
+1 You just described my exact situation as well. I just work as hard as I can and do the best job I can. I found it became difficult when I went from Frosh/JV to Varsity. Frosh/JV coaches never really gave me much grief, and maybe that's because a lot of them around here were on the younger side as well. With Varsity coaches, I was the young one and the new face. So guess who they decided to pick on during the games? Over the past 2 seasons though, most have backed down and I like to think that's because I proved I work hard and do a good job.

On a side note, what really irks me is when I'm working with a partner and they feel they have to come in and "save" me from a coach or some other situation. I feel it's moves like those that make it difficult for a young official because it gives the coaches and anyone else watching the impression that they can't handle the game or level being played.
Old Wed May 11, 2011, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

a useful study. Thank you.
Old Wed May 11, 2011, 08:29pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
HS Varsity: We had a 20 year-old work on my board this season. His father is an "esteemed" member of this forum

College: Had 2 friends who broke in the college ranks at the age of 22.
I didn't really think we had 'esteemed' members on this forum. I thought that was the stuff made of blue fonts.
Old Wed May 11, 2011, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you for sharing. an interesting topic. + rep