View Single Post
Old Wed May 11, 2011, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Kingsman1288
I'm 22...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHSAA View Post
I just turned 20 and find it hard (maybe more weird) to officiate Varsity and Div. II ball under what you described (composure, wisdom, ect.) Not to say that I don't convey those qualities, but to convey them consistently is what I find difficult. The whole place notices when someone my age walks onto the court and to me it feels as if I have to perform at a higher level with being the "odd one out" and youngest. Its hard to talk on the subject in my association since I have the next to youngest beat by 8 - 9 years, so I thought I would bring it up here. Does anyone view this the same or offer any tips?
+1 You just described my exact situation as well. I just work as hard as I can and do the best job I can. I found it became difficult when I went from Frosh/JV to Varsity. Frosh/JV coaches never really gave me much grief, and maybe that's because a lot of them around here were on the younger side as well. With Varsity coaches, I was the young one and the new face. So guess who they decided to pick on during the games? Over the past 2 seasons though, most have backed down and I like to think that's because I proved I work hard and do a good job.

On a side note, what really irks me is when I'm working with a partner and they feel they have to come in and "save" me from a coach or some other situation. I feel it's moves like those that make it difficult for a young official because it gives the coaches and anyone else watching the impression that they can't handle the game or level being played.