The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Youngest D-1 Officials

For all you veterans:

I was wondering what some of the youngest D-1 officials are. I have seen on tv recently some guys working some Atlantic 10 who seem to be quite a bit younger than their partners? Anyone know of some young guys out there making it to the big time pretty quick?
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 07:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I hear Bhuck Elics is only 16. But, I'm sure that's just a rumor.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 07:04pm
Huck Finn

I'm not sure. There is one guy who is relatively young named Jose Calderon (I think). I was at the ACC camp with him a few years ago and he is the truth!
Unfortunately, there are many young guys in D1 that don't make it on ESPN and CBS.
One of the best stories I've heard was when Zack Zarba told me he made it to D1 then the NBA by 28 or 29. That is pretty good.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 07:16pm
9 times

I have a friend who was 24 or 25 when he got his 1st D1 assignement. He is now about 30 and works in 5 D1 leagues and the D-League.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 09:21pm
Administrator

I am 56 years old and I was 23 years old when I officiated my first Div. I game (It was a women's game): Florida State University vs. University of Miami during the 1974-75 season. Now I am a bald old geezer.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
I'm not sure. There is one guy who is relatively young named Jose Calderon (I think). I was at the ACC camp with him a few years ago and he is the truth!
Unfortunately, there are many young guys in D1 that don't make it on ESPN and CBS.
One of the best stories I've heard was when Zack Zarba told me he made it to D1 then the NBA by 28 or 29. That is pretty good.
It's Jose Carrion I believe. He works the Big East among others. He is in his early 30s. He's originally from Puerto Rico.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 11:08pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R
It's Jose Carrion I believe. He works the Big East among others. He is in his early 30s. He's originally from Puerto Rico.
Yes, that is exactly who I'm talking about. I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's in every major D1 conference on the east coast.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

A friend of mine got picked up for a D-1 men's conference this year. He's 28 years old and has been officiating HS basketball for 5 years. That's the quickest ascension around here that I've ever seen.

He's very good and he also looks like the classic basketball official. Perfect height and build and extremely athletic. He just "has it."
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 02:17am
Official Forum Member

The reason I was wondering was the fact that I am starting my third year of officiating in the high school level and recently was hired by a NAIA D2 conference at the age of 20. Wondering what a realistic number was for me until I got to that D1 level?
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I've worked several times with Jose at the D3 level. He's an excellent official. I've camped with him at NunnBetter, as well. He's obviously very good, and helpful without needing to be "the man". I also got to know Zach a little bit through my time in the USBL. He is an excellent official and a really nice person. He spent literally 2 hours with me, standing on the sidelines during my USBL tryout and talking about NBA rules with me. After I got picked up (and then let go) by the USBL, we corresponded a little bit via email and he was always helpful when I needed help with something. (In fact, he got me invited to NunnBetter.) Two quality guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOofficial
The reason I was wondering was the fact that I am starting my third year of officiating in the high school level and recently was hired by a NAIA D2 conference at the age of 20. Wondering what a realistic number was for me until I got to that D1 level?
MO, here's my little piece of advice, for whatever it's worth. Don't put a number on it. Just do the things you need to do. I was 40 when I got picked up for D1 games. Hopefully, you don't have to wait that long. But if you put a number on it and then don't make it by then, you just set yourself up for disappointment.

Just go to the right camps, impress the right people and let things happen at their own pace. You can't control the decisions of the assignors, anyway. I went through a lot of frustration and disappointment, which I just brought on myself. Do what got you this far. Keep learning. If you've got the goods, someone will notice. Good luck.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
While shoveling the rest of the snow in my driveway, I realized that I forgot to mention this piece of "wisdom" that I heard a lot at camp: Better to make it a couple years late than a couple years early.

If you make it too soon and screw it up, you're done. Make sure you are really ready.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you Chuck.

Great Advise. A lot of guys around my area are intemidated to say something to me or talk to me about things because I am so young. I appreciate what you said.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 01:07pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
I am 56 years old.... Now I am a bald old geezer.

MTD, Sr.
I had no idea you were such a youngster. I got you by three years. Oh yeah - I still have all my hair. Almost all, anyway.

BTW - don't say you're bald, say you have solar panels on your head.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I had no idea you were such a youngster. I got you by three years. Oh yeah - I still have all my hair. Almost all, anyway.

BTW - don't say you're bald, say you have solar panels on your head.
Yes, folks that's really Mark. Although that pic doesn't show the fishnets, too bad. Now everyone knows why I always cringe when he talks about laying his head on my shoulder...
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOofficial

that's great to hear MO! Keep it up. Like the guys before me said, try not to put a timetable on it, but you do want to have goals so set them, if you don't reach them then of course you will be upset but don't analyze it the wrong way. Don't say, "I can't believe they didn't take me" instead ask yourself what you think you need to improve on. Watch tape and be your own hardest critic. Get down to the minute details if you think you have the solid foundation that is required to referee at a top level.

Like right now, I have been working on a couple of things this year. I tend to stand with my right shoulder lower than my left and it looks weird. I also am working on my slot positioning (which is horrible right now) and the cadence of my whistles. All minute little details, but something that will help my overall game in my later years. You should always be trying to develop the whole package.

Good luck to you MO and keep working hard as I am sure you have been.