The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 02, 2011, 10:46am
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation Partner wears out whistle

Boys 8th grade spring league yesterday. I had three games with a young man in his mid-20s. I've worked with both him and his dad many times before. First two games, no real problems. Third game - totally different. About three minutes into the game, he whacks the green HC. There's a timeout and I ask him what happened. He said the guy was ranting about us "giving the other team too much leeway" and that they didn't need any help because they were an "8th grade all-star team" and his kids were all 7th graders. My partner gave him the stop sign when the ranting began but he kept it up so he whacked him.

Apparently, that didn't do the trick because before the half was over, he whacked the guy again (he gone), whacked the AC once, then ejected two parents. In the second half, he whacked three of their players (one was flagrant with an ejection for dropping the F bomb) and then got the AC again with about three minutes left in the game (he gone, too). We had to get a parent out of the stands to "coach" the team at that point. The final score was 72-15. I bet you can guess who won.

Oh yeah - one of the league reps was there and saw the whole thing and told him after the game that he did a great job.
Old Mon May 02, 2011, 10:56am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Apparently, that didn't do the trick because before the half was over, he whacked the guy again (he gone), whacked the AC once, then ejected two parents. In the second half, he whacked three of their players (one was flagrant with an ejection for dropping the F bomb) and then got the AC again with about three minutes left in the game (he gone, too). We had to get a parent out of the stands to "coach" the team at that point. The final score was 72-15. I bet you can guess who won.
Did he also do the Celtics vs Heat game later in the day?
Old Mon May 02, 2011, 11:20am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Boys 8th grade spring league yesterday. I had three games with a young man in his mid-20s. I've worked with both him and his dad many times before. First two games, no real problems. Third game - totally different. About three minutes into the game, he whacks the green HC. There's a timeout and I ask him what happened. He said the guy was ranting about us "giving the other team too much leeway" and that they didn't need any help because they were an "8th grade all-star team" and his kids were all 7th graders. My partner gave him the stop sign when the ranting began but he kept it up so he whacked him.

Oh yeah - one of the league reps was there and saw the whole thing and told him after the game that he did a great job.
Wow! That's more T than the Royal Wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.
Old Mon May 02, 2011, 11:21am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Wow! That's more T than the Royal Wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.
But not even close to my record.
Old Mon May 02, 2011, 11:40am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
But not even close to my record.
Well of course not! Sheesh!
Old Mon May 02, 2011, 11:50am
M.A.S.H.

Sounds like he took care of the bidness! Kudos!!
Old Tue May 03, 2011, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

The big question would be... Did he break his Dad's record?

Those family rivalries can be tough.
Old Tue May 03, 2011, 11:28am
Esteemed Participant

A question if I might...if your Partner is having to throw out all these T's, what exactly were you doing???

If I am working a game where multiple T's have to be issued, no way am I going to sit back and let one person be the one to issue all of them.
Old Tue May 03, 2011, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
A question if I might...if your Partner is having to throw out all these T's, what exactly were you doing???

If I am working a game where multiple T's have to be issued, no way am I going to sit back and let one person be the one to issue all of them.
Yeah it sucks when I give the 1st one & the opportunity presents itself for my partner to give the 2nd, but I wind up having to close the deal too

I embrace the opportunity to piggyback (if applicable)!

*Not saying this is what happened in the OP

Last edited by tref; Tue May 03, 2011 at 01:07pm.
Old Tue May 03, 2011, 01:42pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Yeah it sucks when I give the 1st one & the opportunity presents itself for my partner to give the 2nd, but I wind up having to close the deal too

I embrace the opportunity to piggyback (if applicable)!

*Not saying this is what happened in the OP
Agreed...and in the OP there were 7 T's issued and two parents ejected. All by ONE of the two officials. So either one of the officials was hiding and not wanting to be involved, or one of the officials was being way too sensitive to what was going on and being said. That's really the only two things I can picture here. And both are troubling to me.
Old Tue May 03, 2011, 02:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Agreed...and in the OP there were 7 T's issued and two parents ejected. All by ONE of the two officials. So either one of the officials was hiding and not wanting to be involved, or one of the officials was being way too sensitive to what was going on and being said. That's really the only two things I can picture here. And both are troubling to me.
There is also the possibility that all these things were said to the younger official and he just had to deal with it on his own. Odds are slim, to be sure.
Old Tue May 03, 2011, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
There is also the possibility that all these things were said to the younger official and he just had to deal with it on his own. Odds are slim, to be sure.
Whether the gripe with my younger partner is legit or not, I will join the party if the coach is acting a fool. I really cant see working a 2 person game in which 7 Ts are assessed & I dont have a one of them.

Double down to get involved
Old Tue May 03, 2011, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Whether the gripe with my younger partner is legit or not, I will join the party if the coach is acting a fool. I really cant see working a 2 person game in which 7 Ts are assessed & I dont have a one of them.

Double down to get involved
You better believe I wouldn't be involved in a game where seven technical fouls were handed out, and I didn't get at least one or two. Heck when I first started officiating, my motto was T first, ask later.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue May 03, 2011, 03:32pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I could maybe - MAYBE - see that with the T's on the Coach and the AC. But not with the player T's and the parents being ejected. That had to be heard...
Old Tue May 03, 2011, 04:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I could maybe - MAYBE - see that with the T's on the Coach and the AC. But not with the player T's and the parents being ejected. That had to be heard...
True, and after a couple of them, I'd get together as a crew (2 or 3) and make a concerted effort to have another official get the next one if he heard it. Not that I'd shy away from it as the calling official if I was the only one to hear the next offense, but still....