The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 02:55am
Official Forum Member

Girls V game tonight. Two teams vying for first place in their division - only one loss between the two teams. Two-person crew. I'm the R and my partner is a 25-year vet who is pretty solid for the most part.

Home up by 12 for most of the game. Visitors make a charge and tie it up with about a minute to go. Home turns it over and visitor runs some time and then shoots an airball with about 3 seconds left on the shot clock.

Home team rebounds and launches an outlet pass to A1 who is ahead of the pack by about 15 feet. Shotclock operator forgets to reset clock and shot clock horn goes off as A1 crosses half court. All girls keep playing, but my partner blows a rather half-hearted whistle. I look up and see 11.7 on the clock. A1 keeps going, but everyone else stopped on the whistle. Since my partner blew his whistle, I have no choice but to crack my whistle and stop play. Clock now says 8.7.

I beckon my partner and tell him, "partner, that's an inadvertant whistle. White had possession so we'll give it to them out of bounds and I'll put two additional seconds back on the clock so it will be 10.7." I tell him that I'll go tell the coaches since I'm afraid the home coach will give him two karate chops to the groin and a "Three Stooges eye poke."

I approach the home coach and she's about 3 colors of red with steam coming out of her eyes. I say, "coach, that's an inadvertant whistle while you had possession. It will be your ball on the side near midcourt with 10.7 on the clock." She started to complain about my partner "taking a hoop from her" and I just said, "coach, there is nothing else I can do. It's going to be your ball here on the side and you've got plenty of time." She calms down and calls time-out. I tell her, "OK, let me go explain to the other coach and then you'll get your time-out."

I tell the other coach who doesn't protest of course since my partner just gave her some "great defense."

After the time-out, home team passes it in and A1 drives to the hoop and I call a shooting foul as B1 whacks her on the elbow. A1 misses the first, but drills the second. B1 launches a desperation three which hits rim and bounces away. Home team wins 65-64. I guess all's well that ends well.

Z
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 07:29am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman

Home team rebounds and launches an outlet pass to A1 who is ahead of the pack by about 15 feet. Shotclock operator forgets to reset clock and shot clock horn goes off as A1 crosses half court. All girls keep playing, but my partner blows a rather half-hearted whistle. I look up and see 11.7 on the clock. A1 keeps going, but everyone else stopped on the whistle. Since my partner blew his whistle, I have no choice but to crack my whistle and stop play. Clock now says 8.7.

I beckon my partner and tell him, "partner, that's an inadvertant whistle. White had possession so we'll give it to them out of bounds and I'll put two additional seconds back on the clock so it will be 10.7."

Good job, Z. One little point. If you do have specific knowledge by looking at the clock, you have to put up the exact time that you saw on the clock if the timer's lag time is more than 1 second. If the timer hadda stopped the clock anywhere between 10.7 seconds and 11.7 seconds, then you coulda gone with what was on the clock. But when the timer went past the 1-second lag time allowed by rule, you have to put the time back on that you actually saw on the clock.

This play is almost identical to case book play 5.10.1SitD(c&d).
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 08:17am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

I beckon my partner and tell him, "partner, that's an inadvertant whistle. White had possession so we'll give it to them out of bounds and I'll put two additional seconds back on the clock so it will be 10.7."

Good job, Z. One little point. If you do have specific knowledge by looking at the clock, you have to put up the exact time that you saw on the clock if the timer's lag time is more than 1 second. If the timer hadda stopped the clock anywhere between 10.7 seconds and 11.7 seconds, then you coulda gone with what was on the clock. But when the timer went past the 1-second lag time allowed by rule, you have to put the time back on that you actually saw on the clock.

This play is almost identical to case book play 5.10.1SitD(c&d).

JR:

How do you make the red lettering in your posts.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
[font color = red], except make the brackets into < and >
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 08:36am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
[/B]

JR:

How do you make the red lettering in your posts.

MTD, Sr. [/B][/QUOTE]Just as Chuck said, Mark. If you click on "quote" on the post with "red" in it and look in the text that I typed, you can see exactly how. That's how I learned how to do it-- from one of Mick's posts, if I remember right.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 11:38am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Thumbs up SUPER!

Quote:
Girls V game tonight. Two teams vying for first place in their division - only one loss between the two teams. Two-person crew. I'm the R and my partner is a 25-year vet who is pretty solid for the most part.

Home up by 12 for most of the game. Visitors make a charge and tie it up with about a minute to go. Home turns it over and visitor runs some time and then shoots an airball with about 3 seconds left on the shot clock.

I beckon my partner and tell him, "partner, that's an inadvertant whistle. White had possession so we'll give it to them out of bounds and I'll put two additional seconds back on the clock so it will be 10.7." I tell him that I'll go tell the coaches since I'm afraid the home coach will give him two karate chops to the groin and a "Three Stooges eye poke."

I approach the home coach and she's about 3 colors of red with steam coming out of her eyes. I say, "coach, that's an inadvertant whistle while you had possession. It will be your ball on the side near midcourt with 10.7 on the clock." She started to complain about my partner "taking a hoop from her" and I just said, "coach, there is nothing else I can do. It's going to be your ball here on the side and you've got plenty of time." She calms down and calls time-out. I tell her, "OK, let me go explain to the other coach and then you'll get your time-out."

I tell the other coach who doesn't protest of course since my partner just gave her some "great defense."

After the time-out, home team passes it in and A1 drives to the hoop and I call a shooting foul as B1 whacks her on the elbow. A1 misses the first, but drills the second. B1 launches a desperation three which hits rim and bounces away. Home team wins 65-64. I guess all's well that ends well.

Z
Perfect. Absolutely perfect. Excellent job handling a sticky situation.

If you're on my JV crew and I see this as an assignor, I'd promote you to my V crew.