The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 29, 2011, 07:14pm
certified Hot Mom tester

NFHS is a little ahead of its time

Got my Fed publications catalog in the mail today. The Rules Book 2011-12 is listed at $7.20 but their website says it won't be available until September. Oh yeah - I can order a "Rules PowerPoint 2011-12" on CD for "only" $49.95. I think I'll pass.
Old Fri Apr 29, 2011, 07:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

September? Are they waiting for the NFL CBA to be negotiated?
Old Tue May 03, 2011, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

I received a copy of all of the proposed rule changes and editorial changes today from my state office.

I noticed that the wording of the proposal to alter the definition team control included at the disposal for a throw-in, but not for a FT. Also, there was no mention of altering the backcourt rules to maintain the current rulings.
Old Tue May 03, 2011, 04:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I received a copy of all of the proposed rule changes and editorial changes today from my state office.

I noticed that the wording of the proposal to alter the definition team control included at the disposal for a throw-in, but not for a FT. Also, there was no mention of altering the backcourt rules to maintain the current rulings.
Interesting:
TC would exist during RPP for a TI but not a FT.
I'd still bet they make changes to the backcourt rule to maintain the current situation.
Old Wed May 04, 2011, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

On a FT, it doesn't really matter. How many times in your career have you called a foul with the ball in the hands of a FT shooter?

As for the 10 second count, it really doesn't matter either way. Sure, it is different, but not enough such that it really matters. It would very rarely come into play.
Old Wed May 04, 2011, 11:58am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
On a FT, it doesn't really matter. How many times in your career have you called a foul with the ball in the hands of a FT shooter?

As for the 10 second count, it really doesn't matter either way. Sure, it is different, but not enough such that it really matters. It would very rarely come into play.
Actually, TC already exists once the shooter has the ball, so the only point where it would matter is if you called a foul during an RPP situation with the ball at the disposal. As Nevada worded the post, once you start your 5 second count on a TI, TC begins. Could be an RPP situation, or could be a purposeful delay following a made basket.

I'm not so concerned about the 10 second or 3 second counts, although they would change. I'm more concerned about the following plays.

TI pass tipped by the offense in the FC into the BC where it's retrieved.

TI pass bounces in the FC before being retrieved by the offense in the BC.

Unless I'm missing something, these two situations would be a violation if TC is already established on the TI.
Old Wed May 04, 2011, 01:08pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
TI pass tipped by the offense in the FC into the BC where it's retrieved...
You would be concerned about the 10-second count if the scored was tied, the throw-in started at 0:17, the ball was lands in the backcourt at the 0:16 mark and isn't controlled until the 0:14 mark and Team A is out of time-outs. When the clock reaches 0:05 and Team A still hasn't established the ball in the frontcourt....

I've called enough 10-second violations and had enough coaches scream for 10-second calls to know this is not some abstract, uncommon play that could never happen. I used an end-of-game situation for dramatic effect, but it could be at any time in the game and one coach or the other will want an explanation for call/non-call.

I agree that 3-seconds calls are a non-player for the new throw-in/TC rule...at least until we start routinely calling 3-seconds during interrupted dribbles.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed May 04, 2011 at 01:13pm.
Old Wed May 04, 2011, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually, TC already exists once the shooter has the ball, so the only point where it would matter is if you called a foul during an RPP situation with the ball at the disposal. As Nevada worded the post, once you start your 5 second count on a TI, TC begins. Could be an RPP situation, or could be a purposeful delay following a made basket.

I'm not so concerned about the 10 second or 3 second counts, although they would change. I'm more concerned about the following plays.

TI pass tipped by the offense in the FC into the BC where it's retrieved.

TI pass bounces in the FC before being retrieved by the offense in the BC.

Unless I'm missing something, these two situations would be a violation if TC is already established on the TI.
Since this 'new' rule would be the same as NCAA. Is there a case play in the NCAA book?
Old Wed May 04, 2011, 02:23pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
Since this 'new' rule would be the same as NCAA. Is there a case play in the NCAA book?
The NCAA has throw-in exceptions for BC violations.

Rule 7 Section 6. Throw-in

Art. 7. When the ball is located out of bounds, the thrower-in may pass the ball into the back court.

Art. 8. Regardless of where the throw-in spot is located, the throw-in team may cause the ball to go into the back court.

Art. 9. After the throw-in ends, an inbounds player in the front court who is not in control of the ball may cause the ball to go into the back court.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed May 04, 2011 at 02:27pm.
Old Wed May 04, 2011, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
The NCAA has throw-in exceptions for BC violations.
So are the 2 plays, that Snaqwells has listed, violations?
Old Wed May 04, 2011, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Rule 7, Section 6 Throw-In

Art. 8. Regardless of where the throw-in spot is located, the throw-in team may cause the ball to go into the back court.
Art. 9. After the throw-in ends, an inbounds player in the front court who is not in control of the ball may cause the ball to go into the back court.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed May 04, 2011, 03:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Rule 7, Section 6 Throw-In

But without the expressed exceptions, they would be.
Old Wed May 04, 2011, 03:05pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
But without the expressed exceptions, they would be.
I'm going to assume they will change the throw-in rule to mimic the NCAA. Of course we already know I would like some new case plays to come with it.
Old Wed May 04, 2011, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

The NCAA rule (and presumably the new NFHS rule) effectively only considers there to be team control for the purposes of determining the penalty for fouls that occur during the throw in. Complete "team control" effectively begins in the historic manner....along with player control. No other element normally implied by team control applies until player control is established inbounds.