Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 11:08am
MABO Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post

BTW - I use a chapstick in my pocket to keep track of possession. In kids rec games, it's imperative I do this because the parent volunteers at the table usually don't understand the possession protocol. The chapstick seems to be just the right size and weight.
Ditto, And I identify the team possesion by facing the benches and which ever side coincides with the pocket with the chapstick get the ball.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 11:32am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
Ditto, And I identify the team possesion by facing the benches and which ever side coincides with the pocket with the chapstick get the ball.
Exactly. Unfortunately, sometimes I forget to change pockets after the inbound to start Q3.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 11:43am
Do not give a damn!!

I would not us the whistle for the same reason I do not switch things in my pocket. It is very easy to forget or not change when you are supposed to and that will cause further problems. It is better to be focused on the game and you will remember who had the ball last and who got the last AP (or jump ball). That to me is more effective than this little device (or the other device).

Peace
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 11:56am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I would not us the whistle for the same reason I do not switch things in my pocket. It is very easy to forget or not change when you are supposed to and that will cause further problems. It is better to be focused on the game and you will remember who had the ball last and who got the last AP (or jump ball). That to me is more effective than this little device (or the other device).

Peace
Rut - I agree with you. I also know you don't do many (or any, I think) kids rec games. If you did, you'd realize the importance of keeping track of possession yourself. 99% of these games have volunteer parents keeping the clock and the book and many of them have never done it before (or only done it a very few times) so you have to explain how to do it to them. It can be really hard to explain possession to some parent who has virtually no concept of what that means. If the officials don't keep it, it just won't be kept. I know you said you can just keep it "in your mind" but I guess I'm not that accomplished. I wish I was. Congrats to you (I'm not being sarcastic but appreciative here).
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

The thing clearly should have been named the AP 50.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
And for the most part, that's how I work most of my games, but I'm not going to get on an official who does something to keep track of the arrow.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 12:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Rut - I agree with you. I also know you don't do many (or any, I think) kids rec games. If you did, you'd realize the importance of keeping track of possession yourself. 99% of these games have volunteer parents keeping the clock and the book and many of them have never done it before (or only done it a very few times) so you have to explain how to do it to them. It can be really hard to explain possession to some parent who has virtually no concept of what that means. If the officials don't keep it, it just won't be kept. I know you said you can just keep it "in your mind" but I guess I'm not that accomplished. I wish I was. Congrats to you (I'm not being sarcastic but appreciative here).
Mark, I work enough games where there are people at the table that are not used to keeping track of a lot of things and somehow I manage. Everything from summer games to camp games it is common not to have a regular AP arrow at the table. Also what you call "rec games" are not the same animal where I live and what we experience. Most games of our games are school sanctioned until the summer which involves AAU or travel ball. Rec games are usually Men's leagues or adult intramural leagues of some kind.

Usually I talk the table people into using something like a pencil or a bottle so that we have something other than the scoreboard. I also never rely on the table even in games where the people are experienced at the table to know the AP status.

I think many of us use that as an excuse to not do things to keep track or be aware of when these times happen. I learned to "time stamp" things in games where I can remember key moments in the game and I do this for the AP. I am not saying it is perfect, but I have seen enough officials not switch and then they do not want to accept they missed a change. I guess if you want to use this that is fine with me, but I still look at it as a crutch.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Mon Apr 18, 2011 at 12:42pm.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 12:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
And for the most part, that's how I work most of my games, but I'm not going to get on an official who does something to keep track of the arrow.
I never said I would get on an official for doing this. If they just have to use this OK with me. I think it looks silly overall and as someone who is a clinician at camps and for my state in basketball; this would be something I would recommend someone not use. And it would come up I was asked about the official as it is one of many things we might discuss when officials are recommended for leagues or games in the future. I know I would not want to use this going to the many camps I attend as a camper.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

What I really need is a whistle that keeps track of which team I called a violation or foul on last time. That way I could be sure to call every other time against a team
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 02:02pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
I never said I would get on an official for doing this. If they just have to use this OK with me. I think it looks silly overall and as someone who is a clinician at camps and for my state in basketball; this would be something I would recommend someone not use. And it would come up I was asked about the official as it is one of many things we might discuss when officials are recommended for leagues or games in the future. I know I would not want to use this going to the many camps I attend as a camper.

Peace
I was looking for a "like" button. Too much facebook I guess.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 05:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

When In My Little Corner Of Connecticut ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
How do you decide which pocket is which team?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Most people who use this method put the whistle in the pocket that points to the same end of the court as the arrow when the official is facing the table.
Bingo. Arrow, and whistle in pocket, points to the baskets, not to the benches. We also change pockets at the beginning of halftime when the referee has the table change the arrow.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Apr 18, 2011 at 05:44pm.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 11:17pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Let's see. Is the red button down or up for the visitors' arrow? Dang.
Old Tue Apr 19, 2011, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

The overall design of the whistle and the way the acoustic part of the whistle are cut make me think that there is a potential patent infringement here on a Fox 40 whistle.
Old Tue Apr 19, 2011, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Is that a whistle in your pocket?

Like above, I trust that the table at the high school level can do their job.

Wreck and kiddie tournaments I do use the pocket method, but I was taught to do it by jersey color: Light in the right (rhymes).