Thread: PC 50 Whistle
View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I wouldn't. Not only does it look different to have colored dots on your whistle, instead of the plain black that your partners are using, but are you really going to switch the little clicker each time that an AP throw-in ends? I'm busy officiating at that time.

And why are you keeping track of the possession arrow on your whistle anyway? What if your clicker differs from the official AP arrow kept at the table at some point in the game? Are you going to have the crew hold up the game while you sort out whether you or the official scorer is correct? I'm not. The AP arrow is the duty of the scorer. Let that person do his job.

Simply look to see that the scorer has properly changed the arrow on the table at your earliest opportunity following the AP throw-in. That will take care of it.
I feel you're making this a bigger issue than it should be...I'm betting it would literally take two seconds to switch the clicker. I don't know what officiating you're doing during those two seconds of dead ball time, but I'm guessing we're all talented enough to dead ball officiate and press a clicker all before the ball becomes live again.

So what if there's a little bit of color on a whistle? Do you really care that much? Quite frankly this wouldn't even be on the list of issues I'd care about a partner matching in. Now if your assignor says you can't use this, then of course don't, and I'm not going to go out of my way to get one.

And officials keep track of the possession arrow in varieties of ways....some better than others. Some keep it in their head, some use a rubber band, some use a spare whistle. I'm keeping track of the possession arrow regardless because if/when there's an issue, it's going to my partner(s) and me who will be held accountable. If my partner or I have a discrepancy between the table, you damn right I'm going to hold up the game to make sure. Doesn't take more than 15-30 seconds max to get it taken care of.

You're right that if we make sure to see the table change the arrow appropriately we can avoid most issues but that doesn't mean an arrow can't be switched accidentally while you aren't looking and don't notice it until way later in the game...especially in lower level games.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Mon Apr 18, 2011 at 12:07am.