PC 50 Whistle

PC 50 Whistle

Interesting.

But, no thanks.
Old Sun Apr 17, 2011, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Don't see the need.

Just another person trying to make a buck by claiming that there is a problem where one doesn't exist and hoping to sell people the cure for it.

Old Sun Apr 17, 2011, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting...If someone gave me one, I'd definitely use it but I'm not going to go out and buy one.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Apr 17, 2011, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Interesting...If someone gave me one, I'd definitely use it but I'm not going to go out and buy one.
I wouldn't. Not only does it look different to have colored dots on your whistle, instead of the plain black that your partners are using, but are you really going to switch the little clicker each time that an AP throw-in ends? I'm busy officiating at that time.

And why are you keeping track of the possession arrow on your whistle anyway? What if your clicker differs from the official AP arrow kept at the table at some point in the game? Are you going to have the crew hold up the game while you sort out whether you or the official scorer is correct? I'm not. The AP arrow is the duty of the scorer. Let that person do his job.

Simply look to see that the scorer has properly changed the arrow on the table at your earliest opportunity following the AP throw-in. That will take care of it.
Old Sun Apr 17, 2011, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe they should add a few spinning wheels on it so we can keep time, score, and fouls too!
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I wouldn't. Not only does it look different to have colored dots on your whistle, instead of the plain black that your partners are using, but are you really going to switch the little clicker each time that an AP throw-in ends? I'm busy officiating at that time.

And why are you keeping track of the possession arrow on your whistle anyway? What if your clicker differs from the official AP arrow kept at the table at some point in the game? Are you going to have the crew hold up the game while you sort out whether you or the official scorer is correct? I'm not. The AP arrow is the duty of the scorer. Let that person do his job.

Simply look to see that the scorer has properly changed the arrow on the table at your earliest opportunity following the AP throw-in. That will take care of it.
I feel you're making this a bigger issue than it should be...I'm betting it would literally take two seconds to switch the clicker. I don't know what officiating you're doing during those two seconds of dead ball time, but I'm guessing we're all talented enough to dead ball officiate and press a clicker all before the ball becomes live again.

So what if there's a little bit of color on a whistle? Do you really care that much? Quite frankly this wouldn't even be on the list of issues I'd care about a partner matching in. Now if your assignor says you can't use this, then of course don't, and I'm not going to go out of my way to get one.

And officials keep track of the possession arrow in varieties of ways....some better than others. Some keep it in their head, some use a rubber band, some use a spare whistle. I'm keeping track of the possession arrow regardless because if/when there's an issue, it's going to my partner(s) and me who will be held accountable. If my partner or I have a discrepancy between the table, you damn right I'm going to hold up the game to make sure. Doesn't take more than 15-30 seconds max to get it taken care of.

You're right that if we make sure to see the table change the arrow appropriately we can avoid most issues but that doesn't mean an arrow can't be switched accidentally while you aren't looking and don't notice it until way later in the game...especially in lower level games.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Last edited by APG; Mon Apr 18, 2011 at 12:07am.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 06:20am
Esteemed Forum Member

Brother, Can You Spare Me A Whistle ???

Quote:
Some use a spare whistle.
We've been doing this in my little corner of Connecticut since the possession arrow was invented. It's mandatory in our local board. I hate having to do it, but, when in Rome ...
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 06:21am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
You're right that if we make sure to see the table change the arrow appropriately we can avoid most issues but that doesn't mean an arrow can't be switched accidentally while you aren't looking and don't notice it until way later in the game...especially in lower level games.
or, at the lower level games they don't even keep the arrow at all......
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 06:23am
Esteemed Forum Member

Allowed ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Interesting.
What does this mean: "Only possession control aide allowed in all venues."?

Who's going to stop me from using some other type of aide? The "Arrow Police"?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Apr 18, 2011 at 06:27am.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 06:25am
Esteemed Forum Member

Been There, Done That ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
At the lower level games they don't even keep the arrow at all.
100% of all my Catholic middle school games. Now this is where our "spare whistle switching from pocket to pocket" routine comes in handy.

Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
100% of all my Catholic middle school games. Now this is where our "spare whistle switching from pocket to pocket" routine comes in handy.
Billy, how do you decide which pocket is which team?
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
Billy, how do you decide which pocket is which team?
I'm not Billy, but most people who use this method put the whistle in the pocket that points to the same end of the court as the arrow when the official is facing the table.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 09:23am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Seems to me if the barking dogs in your area frown at the use of a rubber band, spare whistle, or any other visible memory aid, they're going to find the use of this whistle to be equally distasteful.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 10:55am
certified Hot Mom tester

The buttons on the whistle are white and red. What if one of the teams is wearing blue?

BTW - I use a chapstick in my pocket to keep track of possession. In kids rec games, it's imperative I do this because the parent volunteers at the table usually don't understand the possession protocol. The chapstick seems to be just the right size and weight. I used to use a Hickory Farms beefstick, but I'd get weird looks from some women coaches when I'd move it from side to side.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
The buttons on the whistle are white and red. What if one of the teams is wearing blue?

BTW - I use a chapstick in my pocket to keep track of possession. In kids rec games, it's imperative I do this because the parent volunteers at the table usually don't understand the possession protocol. The chapstick seems to be just the right size and weight. I used to use a Hickory Farms beefstick, but I'd get weird looks from some women coaches when I'd move it from side to side.
According to Nevada, you shouldn't worry about keeping the arrow and let the scorer do his/her job.