The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 17, 2011, 05:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool NBA or NWBA?

I know we usually refer to the NBA here as the NBE, but after watching some of the playoff games over the last few days, I suggest we call it the NWBA, which stands for the "National Whiney Babies Association". I've never seen so many whiney reactions for foul calls. And it's "both ways", complaining when a foul is called against them, and complaining when a foul isn't called against an opponent. I know this happens all the time, but it seems to be even worse so far in this year's playoffs.

As usual, Kobe seems to be leading the pack. I think he complained that a foul wasn't called against a opponent out in the parking lot before the game.

The league should issue crying towels. These guys are acting like 3rd graders. Oh wait - 3rd graders are actually more mature.
Old Sun Apr 17, 2011, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Players whine in all professional sports. We're just able to see and hear the actual whining and there are a lot more calls made in a basketball game.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Apr 17, 2011, 06:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Players whine in all professional sports. We're just able to see and hear the actual whining and there are a lot more calls made in a basketball game.
Yep. Baseball players whine when you do not call the right pitch in their mind and anytime a pass is thrown in the NFL that is defended the receivers go looking for the flag. Welcome to pro sports.

Peace
Old Sun Apr 17, 2011, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Yep. Baseball players whine when you do not call the right pitch in their mind and anytime a pass is thrown in the NFL that is defended the receivers go looking for the flag. Welcome to pro sports.

Peace
Yup...another difference is we don't see the players' faces in the NFL and IMO it doesn't have quite the same effect when you don't see the player's facial reactions. NFL players whine all the time looking for OPI or whine when DPI is called. They'll point and gyrate when they think an offensive linemen as moved. Defenders will b**ch and moan for holding calls. Difference is we don't get to see it all since action is occurring downfield and we don't hear a lot of it since it occurs in the middle of the field....add to that not having as many calls as the NBA.

The fact is professional sports allow their athletes to interact with the officials a lot more than we do at the amateur level and I have no problem with it. I would say what we don't allow at the amateur level, we allow the coach's to get away with in spades (well at least at NCAA D-I level).
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Sun Apr 17, 2011, 06:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Peace
Yep, and in 6 months we'll be talking about the MLB players whining. Three months later it'll be about NFL stars who think their sh1t don't stink.
Old Sun Apr 17, 2011, 06:15pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Yup...another difference is we don't see the players' faces in the NFL and IMO it doesn't have quite the same effect when you don't see the player's facial reactions. NFL players whine all the time ...
All you have to do is watch a game involving Donovan McNabb. I'm an Eagles fan and it used to irritate the hell out of me how much begged for flags.
Old Sun Apr 17, 2011, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
All you have to do is watch a game involving Donovan McNabb. I'm an Eagles fan and it used to irritate the hell out of me how much begged for flags.
I'm an Eagles fan as well. A long suffering one!

Old Sun Apr 17, 2011, 06:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Not a Bears fan but I see most of their games because of where I live and every game Jay Cutler is complaining about some call they did not get. Often times he is yelling at the wrong official that would make the call. I believe this past year he got about two USC flags for going over the top on plays he thought should have gotten a flag.

Peace
Old Sun Apr 17, 2011, 06:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Not a Bears fan but I see most of their games because of where I live and every game Jay Cutler is complaining about some call they did not get. Often times he is yelling at the wrong official that would make the call. I believe this past year he got about two USC flags for going over the top on plays he thought should have gotten a flag.

Peace
Tons of talent, zero maturity. His whining doesn't stop on the field and it's not isolated to the officials.
Old Sun Apr 17, 2011, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
You have to be really over the top to get a USC call in the NFL...I believe I've seen at least one of them. You see QBs now whining about getting grazed the wrong way and asking for roughing the passer...and then when it gets called (which is an increased occurrence), you see defensive linemen complain about that.

Old Sun Apr 17, 2011, 06:49pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Guys - my point isn't that there's whining in pro sports, it's that the amount of whining has escalated an enormous amount in the NBA playoffs that I've watched vs. the regular season. I know there's more "at stake", but their attitudes about this is downright sickening. Kudos to the officials for just ignoring it.
Old Sun Apr 17, 2011, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Guys - my point isn't that there's whining in pro sports, it's that the amount of whining has escalated an enormous amount in the NBA playoffs that I've watched vs. the regular season. I know there's more "at stake", but their attitudes about this is downright sickening. Kudos to the officials for just ignoring it.
Then my point is complaining in the playoffs of all professional sports increases. Nothing today was that crazy to me nor seemed to violate the respect for the game guidelines..at least to me. I'm assuming you'll be calling the NFL the NWFL when it comes playoff time?

Old Sun Apr 17, 2011, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Kudos to the officials for just ignoring it.
I disagree. I would say shame on the officials for just ignoring it.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 06:26am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
On frozen pond......

The level of complaining is very subjective IMO and as has been noted occurs in every sport.

That being said, what an NHL Coach gets away with saying/yelling at an official would never be condoned in the NBA and would result in T's, ejections, and fines. These are some of the worst potty mouths around.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 09:15am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I disagree. I would say shame on the officials for just ignoring it.
I half agree, but the officials are likely doing as instructed.