The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 13, 2011, 10:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Randy, I've made a big mistake trying to explain some things to you. I won't make the same mistake again. You simply just don't want to learn. You already know everything there is to know from your vast experience of watching and playing basketball.

Hopefully, the other esteemed members on this site will come to the same conclusion...and we can all just collectively ignore you in the future.

Have a great rec-league career. You're right where you belong and you sureashell ain't ever going anywhere else.

Ta-ta.
I may not be esteemed, but I've come to the same conclusion. And I apologize for the bandwidth I've wasted in the futile effort to help a baby official.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2011, 05:54am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I may not be esteemed, but I've come to the same conclusion. And I apologize for the bandwidth I've wasted in the futile effort to help a baby official.
Oh, you're esteemed, all right. And never stop trying to help the baby officials either. But as soon as anyone like Randy shows that they absolutely refuse to even try to learn the basics, we might as well flush 'em. All we're doing is wasting our time and getting frustrated doing so.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2011, 06:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Oh, you're esteemed, all right. And never stop trying to help the baby officials either. But as soon as anyone like Randy shows that they absolutely refuse to even try to learn the basics, we might as well flush 'em. All we're doing is wasting our time and getting frustrated doing so.
Not "esteemed" but sometimes...it's it's just fun to "go along with it" even when you know it probably won't go anywhere. What happened to the new, kinder JR?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Apr 14, 2011, 06:49am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
What happened to the new, kinder JR?
That went down the crapper with Randy.

I honestly did try to explain some things to him. Some very basic things too. He didn't want to learn; he wanted to show us how smart he was instead. Unfortunately for him, he did just that.

Our avocation doesn't need the Randys of the world. We have enough problems now without people like him adding to 'em.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2011, 06:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That went down the crapper with Randy.

I honestly did try to explain some things to him. Some very basic things too. He didn't want to learn; he wanted to show us how smart he was instead. Unfortunately for him, he did just that.

Our avocation doesn't need the Randys of the world. We have enough problems now without them adding to 'em.
I kid I kid...

I can certainly see how this is frustrating...to me, it's just like the "yeah but" official who doesn't take advice from officials that have been doing this a lot longer then they have....especially on a rule that is crystal clear. I can't for the mind of me understand how someone in their second year of officiating can try and debate this much on matters such as philosophy, mechanics, and rules. Thirty years of playing rec ball and watching basketball just doesn't cut it. It literally took me three and half years of being here before I started feeling confident in helping others with rules, philosophy, etc, and even then, I'm real careful in what I type.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Thu Apr 14, 2011, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
My only complaint is that your threshold is a little too high.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2011, 10:00am
Esteemed Participant

I think some of us have a lower cut-off level than others when it comes to dealing with the "yeah, but" guys like Randy. I admire both Snaqs and JR's attempts to work with the guy. I never even bothered to get involved with these discussions because I was through with the guy after reading his first three posts...maybe Jeff or BITS can get through to the guy, but I seriously doubt even they can.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2011, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

It aint for everybody...
Old Thu Apr 14, 2011, 10:51am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
It aint for everybody...
Breathing, that is.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2011, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

If the frustrated among you would relax your attitudes, rid yourselves of the need to indoctrinate others, you would avoid all of that frustation. What's with the need to have others agree with you--"my way or the highway"? Why not just say it how you see it, and be fine if not everyone agrees?
Old Thu Apr 14, 2011, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBrown View Post
If the frustrated among you would relax your attitudes, rid yourselves of the need to indoctrinate others, you would avoid all of that frustation. What's with the need to have others agree with you--"my way or the highway"? Why not just say it how you see it, and be fine if not everyone agrees?
Because words have meanings.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2011, 12:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Because words have meanings.
That, and it's not about getting someone to agree with us in some sort of "my way or the highway" crap. Again, the mantra of the yabut guy.
It's about explaining the basics of what makes a competent official above the middle school or rec league level.

If he wants to just guess at what contact is a foul or not, fine. If he wants to move up, then it might better serve him to actually figure out the logic and reasoning behind the decisions.

Or he can keep on keeping on.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2011, 12:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
I think some of us have a lower cut-off level than others when it comes to dealing with the "yeah, but" guys like Randy. I admire both Snaqs and JR's attempts to work with the guy. I never even bothered to get involved with these discussions because I was through with the guy after reading his first three posts...maybe Jeff or BITS can get through to the guy, but I seriously doubt even they can.
I should have known when he offered the fan/coach/player catechism, "a foul is a foul."
Old Thu Apr 14, 2011, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBrown View Post

Let me ask you, is the sky blue? Is water wet? Does man need oxygen to survive? Feel like everyone has been trying to indoctrinate me with the same answers.

Again, you're a second year official and you're arguing with a collection of those that have many many times the experience and knowledge of you? Thirty years of playing rec ball and watching basketball doesn't make you an expert on matters of officiating. If that were true, than all ex-NBA players would be NBA officials when the matter of the fact is there's only a handful.

Old Thu Apr 14, 2011, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Thirty years of playing rec ball and watching basketball doesn't make you an expert on matters of officiating.
Worked with a varsity assistant coach a while back. Since he was blowing my line & calling across the paint, I asked:
1. If he has a book.
2. If he planned on attending a camp or taking the test.

He said he played ball all his life plus he coaches, so "he's good to go."