The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 28, 2011, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
Do you think that you have a legitimate shot to get in the Carolina Conference? Are you working some form of DIII / Juco ball right now?

If someone had to have two camps in the summer to pick you up, then what are his motives. You better hope you get games on the "main court".

Also this is philisophical only, you may be percieved as an "NBA guy" and it may hurt you if you are trying to get in leagues that are run by ex "college officials"...........

Otherwise I agree with everything I read on this post..........
I believe I do. I have a couple of D-I experiences, in scrimmages, with the Atlantic Sun conference, so I believe I have a shot. I have officiated HS for 2 years and my mentors are pushing me to attend Forte's camp, and with accepting/respecting their guidance, I am attending.

However, I'm not over-expecting anything. Just attending would be great and learning anything I could.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2011, 02:01pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
Do you think that you have a legitimate shot to get in the Carolina Conference? Are you working some form of DIII / Juco ball right now?

If someone had to have two camps in the summer to pick you up, then what are his motives. You better hope you get games on the "main court".

Also this is philisophical only, you may be percieved as an "NBA guy" and it may hurt you if you are trying to get in leagues that are run by ex "college officials"...........

Otherwise I agree with everything I read on this post..........
In the case of the Carolina's Conference, a young, athletic, good-looking official does have a chance of getting picked up without much experience. But, if on first impression Joe Forte isn't really impressed, there also the possibility of wasting your $$$ to fill slots at a subsequent camp. You really need to get a feel of where you stand after the initial camp before committing to any of his subsequent camps.

Another camp to consider for someone in North Carolina is the D3 Super Camp at the University of Richmond June 23rd-26th. A good number of officials who get picked in the 2 conferences running that camp end up on Joe Forte's staff. Nolan Fine, one of Joe Forte's top obsevers, attends the D3 Super Camp every year.

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Mar 28, 2011 at 02:06pm.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2011, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
In the case of the Carolina's Conference, a young, athletic, good-looking official does have a chance of getting picked up without much experience. But, if on first impression Joe Forte isn't really impressed, there also the possibility of wasting your $$$ to fill seats at a subsequent camp. You really need to get a feel of where you stand after the initial camp before committing to any of his subsequent camps.

Another camp to consider for someone in North Carolina is the D3 Super Camp at the University of Richmond June 23rd-26th. A good number of officials who get picked in the 2 conferences running that camp end up on Joe Forte's staff. Nolan Fine, one of Joe Forte's top obsevers, attends the D3 Super Camp every year.
Thanks, I'll look into that camp also. Do you have any knowledge on any of Jim Burch's camps for the SAC-8 or CIAA? I heard he isn't as intense as Forte, but he does give only a limited # of chances to make his conferences.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2011, 02:12pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHSAA View Post
Thanks, I'll look into that camp also. Do you have any knowledge on any of Jim Burch's camps for the SAC-8 or CIAA? I heard he isn't as intense as Forte, but he does give only a limited # of chances to make his conferences.
You only get to attend his camp twice and to get invited a second time you need a "co-signor". Mr. Burch and Mr. Forte are very tight. Joe shows up on the last night of the Mr. Burch's camp.

One thing to know about Mr. Burch, more than any other supervisor I've heard of, he will pick up an official sight unseen if the right people put that person's name in his ear. So my personal advice is too wait a while to a get a name for yourself and build up a resume'. You might get in without ever having to go to camp or if you do end up going to his camp it's better to have a strong resume' to go along with what you do in camp.

What part of NC are you in?

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Mar 28, 2011 at 02:26pm.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2011, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You only get to attend his camp twice and to get invited a second time you need a "co-signor". Mr. Burch and Mr. Forte are very tight. Joe shows up on the last night of the Mr. Burch's camp.

One thing to know about Mr. Burch, more than any other supervisor I've heard of, he will pick up an official sight unseen if the right people put that person's name in his ear. So my personal advice is too wait a while a get a name for yourself and build up a resume'. You might get in without ever having to go to camp or if you do end up going to his camp it's better to have a strong resume' to go along with what you do in camp.

What part of NC are you in?
Southern
Old Mon Mar 28, 2011, 02:25pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Southern
Get on Jamie Luckie's good side.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2011, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Get on Jamie Luckie's good side.
I have heard Mr. Luckie's name thrown around, not really in our area as much, but especially in the Upstate of South Carolina. Is he an assignor?
Old Mon Mar 28, 2011, 02:38pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I have heard Mr. Luckie's name thrown around, not really in our area as much, but especially in the Upstate of South Carolina. Is he an assignor?
No, he's just a very trusted pair of eyes for both Mr. Burch and Joe Forte as well as Bill Freeman who assigns HS ball in the Charlotte area.

And when it comes to evaluating in a camp setting he is one of the more serious folks you'll come across.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2011, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, he's just a very trusted pair of eyes for both Mr. Burch and Joe Forte as well as Bill Freeman who assigns HS ball in the Charlotte area.

And when it comes to evaluating in a camp setting he is one of the more serious folks you'll come across.
I'll keep his name in mind. Since you have been giving me information that is much appreciated and is helping me get a grasp on the different conferences in the area. Do you know anything about the JUCO conferences and how to get involved with them? I believe Region 10 is them area I am in (though your in VA), but I have yet to get any information from them about officiating.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2011, 02:51pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I'll keep his name in mind. Since you have been giving me information that is much appreciated and is helping me get a grasp on the different conferences in the area. Do you know anything about the JUCO conferences and how to get involved with them? I believe Region 10 is them area I am in (though your in VA), but I have yet to get any information from them about officiating.

I believe Rick Ridenhour (works in the Southern and Big South) is a JuCo assignor in North Carolina. Don't have any contact info for him though.