The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Camps, What to Expect (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/65614-camps-what-expect.html)

NCHSAA Fri Mar 25, 2011 05:20pm

Camps, What to Expect

What is the atmosphere like during camps? I have my first one coming up with Joe Forte and the Bob Gibbons Tournament and do not know what to expect. Has anyone attended this particular camp before?

Thanks!

Scrapper1 Fri Mar 25, 2011 07:40pm

I went to Joe's camp one year. IMO, the feedback was not as helpful as most other camps I've been to. I ended up doing late games with nobody even observing. I honestly don't remember anything about the classroom stuff. It was probably pretty good, because Joe is really good with that stuff; but I honestly can't tell you anything about it.

The guys attending seemed like good guys for the most part. Not too much ego on the floor. The best part of the camp for me was working in Cameron at Duke.

It also was good because it clarified for me that I was not going to pursue a roster spot in the Big South. Joe wanted campers from that camp to attend a second camp to make the roster. Then everybody on staff would have to report to a full camp at the start of the season (which would double as the staff pre-season clinic). It was unrealistic for me, personally, to attend 3 camps in one season in order to get a schedule of 2 or 3 games.

grunewar Fri Mar 25, 2011 08:19pm

Coach K'Ville?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 743886)
The best part of the camp for me was working in Cameron at Duke.

Concur. A very cool arena!

BktBallRef Fri Mar 25, 2011 09:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 743896)
Concur. A very cool arena!

Hansbrough Indoor Stadium! :D

Raymond Fri Mar 25, 2011 09:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCHSAA (Post 743858)
What is the atmosphere like during camps? I have my first one coming up with Joe Forte and the Bob Gibbons Tournament and do not know what to expect. Has anyone attended this particular camp before?

Thanks!

Unless Joe or one of his evaluators likes you on first impression you probably won't get much individual attention.

And as Scrappy said, if you are liked you will be asked attend at least 1 more and likely 2 more camps.

But Joe will pick up an inexperienced ref if he likes how he looks.

BktBallRef Fri Mar 25, 2011 09:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCHSAA (Post 743858)

Thanks!

Are you looking to get picked up or are you jsut looking to get better?

NCHSAA Sat Mar 26, 2011 08:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 743910)
Are you looking to get picked up or are you jsut looking to get better?

I would like to get picked up for his Conference Carolina's, DII conference. But also to get better. A mentor of mine said Forte loves young officials who don't have any ties to other conferences that could conflict with his. And because he can mold these young officials into what type of an official he wants them to be. So I thought I would give it a shot.

Raymond Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCHSAA (Post 743983)
I would like to get picked up for his Conference Carolina's, DII conference. But also to get better. A mentor of mine said Forte loves young officials who don't have any ties to other conferences that could conflict with his. And because he can mold these young officials into what type of an official he wants them to be. So I thought I would give it a shot.

You heard correctly.

CDurham Sat Mar 26, 2011 04:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 744009)
You heard correctly.

You seem to know a lot. Have you attended his camp before?

Raymond Sat Mar 26, 2011 04:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDurham (Post 744043)
You seem to know a lot. Have you attended his camp before?

Joe has multiple camps. I have attended one of his before. He wasn't around much. I have many good friends who do or have worked for him.

CDurham Sat Mar 26, 2011 04:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 744044)
Joe has multiple camps. I have attended one of his before. He wasn't around much. I have many good friends who do or have worked for him.

Okay. I've heard the same thing, but always through other people. I have never attended his camps though

grunewar Sat Mar 26, 2011 07:02pm

Subjective!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDurham (Post 744043)
You seem to know a lot.

THAT is a matter of opinion!! ;)

Multiple Sports Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:23am

Do you think that you have a legitimate shot to get in the Carolina Conference? Are you working some form of DIII / Juco ball right now?

If someone had to have two camps in the summer to pick you up, then what are his motives. You better hope you get games on the "main court".

Also this is philisophical only, you may be percieved as an "NBA guy" and it may hurt you if you are trying to get in leagues that are run by ex "college officials"...........

Otherwise I agree with everything I read on this post..........

GoodwillRef Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:43am

Go referee your butt off and the let the chips fall where they may...that is all you can do.

JRutledge Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef (Post 744497)
Go referee your butt off and the let the chips fall where they may...that is all you can do.

No matter what camp you choose, that is really the best and only advice anyone should care about.

Peace