The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 03, 2005, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

If you were hired to do 2 games 6:30 and 8:30 start times. You get the first game done and you and your partner get ready for the next game. Then you discover the lights do not work.

The coordinator paid us for the 1st game and an extra $5.00 for the second game. I felt I should have been paid in full. Would you expect to be paid or is the $5.00 normal.

Thanks
Old Tue May 03, 2005, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

You bet I would expect to get paid. If both teams are there but the lights are the problem, I expect FULL pay. If any other reason prevents the second game, weather, injuries to players, emergencies of any type, I might accept half pay ( we call it show up pay ). If I show up, someone is paying me for my time. If playing of the game is prevented because of something happening to me or as a result of my not being able to perform the tasks required, I expect no pay. Otherwise, open the wallet or get the check book.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Tue May 03, 2005, 01:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

I would expect to be paid the full amount. The lights were not my problem. I gave up time to work 2 games. If I was there to work two games and the second game was cancelled as a result of something out of my control, I (or any umpire) should be paid.

Peace

Old Tue May 03, 2005, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

I fought this one and lost.

During a pony league double header, my partner and I finished the first game, we also started the second. In the first inning, the 3rd base side bank of lights went out, followed by the bank behind the backstop. We suspended the game. My partner and I both expected to be paid, when we got our checks, they only paid us for one. We made our position known, and so did they, they didn't budge , and we never worked for them again.

We both were expected to be paid, unfortunately, the powers that be in this particular situation didn't see it that way.
Old Tue May 03, 2005, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Good Job. Not working for them is one way to remedy the problem. I would also let other umpires know the situation -in and out of your association. Let this school or organization try to find competent umpires after the word is spread that they don't honor their contracts. It may take some time, but the cost they experience in poor umpires who will work for them will substantially outweigh the money they DIDN"T pay you and your partner.
By the way. You did the right thing in suspending the second game.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Tue May 03, 2005, 02:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

The great thing about officiating is that we are a tight nit community. When schools or leagues treat guys with disrespect, it is always interesting how the "good officials" will decide not to work for these leagues or schools anymore. I have heard of many situations like this where schools or leagues do not pay when they should base on the contract. Then the masses of officials decide to not work those games anymore. Of course these leagues or school will find someone to cover the games, but they might not get their first choice. That in itself has changed practices like this.

Peace
Old Tue May 03, 2005, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Yea I agree there. When talking amongst ourselves, we fight, b**ch, bicker, argue with each other. When someone outside of the group tries to screw one of us though, we band together and back our brethren.
Old Tue May 03, 2005, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

When I was assigning softball and volleyball in my area, we had a problem with a new high school. In the volleyball season, not only were checks not available at the gym, they were weeks in coming. When a complaint was registered with the athletic director, his comment was that the officials were at the low end of the importance scale. He was informed that the officials are independent contractors, and under no obligation to work his school's home matches. An apology came immediately, and checks were always at the gym. That carried over to the softball season, and we never had a problem with that school from then on.

Bob
Old Tue May 03, 2005, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Bob,

Nicely done!
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Tue May 03, 2005, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

I would give them a normal "rain delay" time to correct their lights and then call the game and expect to be paid at least a half game fee.

I had a game last year where I showed up on a beautiful day only to learn that the sprinklers had gone beserk and wet the field down to unplayable condition. Game was called, but no one called me to tell me so. I expected a half game fee and got it.

I had a game this year where I called the school before leaving work because it was raining where I was, and they said they wanted to try to play the game. So I made the trip, and then my partner and I dicussed that the field was unplayable and the coach agreed. I have not been paid yet, and game was April 8. I sent an email to the school and no reply yet.

If one pitch is thrown, in any game, I expect a full game fee if the game can not be completed.
Old Tue May 03, 2005, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
I would give them a normal "rain delay" time to correct their lights and then call the game and expect to be paid at least a half game fee.

I had a game last year where I showed up on a beautiful day only to learn that the sprinklers had gone beserk and wet the field down to unplayable condition. Game was called, but no one called me to tell me so. I expected a half game fee and got it.

I had a game this year where I called the school before leaving work because it was raining where I was, and they said they wanted to try to play the game. So I made the trip, and then my partner and I dicussed that the field was unplayable and the coach agreed. I have not been paid yet, and game was April 8. I sent an email to the school and no reply yet.

If one pitch is thrown, in any game, I expect a full game fee if the game can not be completed.
Forget the email. Have your association assignor and/or president send a letter to the AD. If they don't pay IMMEDIATELY, there will be no more officials assigned to their games (ALL sports).

Bob
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 12:07am
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: I fought this one and lost.

Quote:
Originally posted by aevans410
During a pony league double header, my partner and I finished the first game, we also started the second. In the first inning, the 3rd base side bank of lights went out, followed by the bank behind the backstop. We suspended the game. My partner and I both expected to be paid, when we got our checks, they only paid us for one. We made our position known, and so did they, they didn't budge , and we never worked for them again.

We both were expected to be paid, unfortunately, the powers that be in this particular situation didn't see it that way.
You started the game. I would expect full payment for both games or the suspended game fee (prior to becoming a legal game) if there was one in place. Your solution is the only real response you have although I would email every umpire I knew to let them know of the program's failure to pay for services rendered. Let them try to find umpires when they know they might not get paid.